Kellymac
What module to use for Q & A
  • 2006/11/13 21:38

• Kellymac

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/2/1 1

I'm attempting to set up a Q & A section.
It needs to be simple so that even the most novice of internet users could easily post a question for a featured interviewie and for just the moderator to be able to respond to that question. All users should be able see both the questions and answers.
There needs to be a way to add many topics (people to be interviewed).
I'm not sure if a FAQ module would be appropriate or a bulletin board. Maybee there is something more specific out there that I don't know about.
Please let me know if there is.

Mithrandir
Re: What module to use for Q & A

SmartFAQ springs to mind.
"When you can flatten entire cities at a whim, a tendency towards quiet reflection and seeing-things-from-the-other-fellow's-point-of-view is seldom necessary."

Cusix Software

Quest
  • 2006/11/14 1:15

• Quest

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/19

Nothing against SmartFaq but I have yet to get it to cooperate with 2.0.15. It is a good Q&A with lots of functions but I elected to use xoopsfaq which is the simpler of the two.
You can get xoopsfaq from the XOOPS 2.0.13 version download zip. And upload the module, install as normal module.

Quest

msdana
  • 2006/11/14 2:48

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/12/11

Quote:
Nothing against SmartFaq but I have yet to get it to cooperate with 2.0.15.

Quest, can you elaborate on that? I just installed it on a client site, and while it seems to work fine, I'd like to know what problems you had.
[size=x-small]If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.[/size]
Graphic Worx : Xoops Themes

Lobotomy
  • 2006/11/14 7:18

• Lobotomy

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/11/14

I've had problems for two days now trying to solve smartfaq with 2.0.15. Sometimes i dont get the questions to show in the admin page, just a ID. And when i got the pages to show on the admin page and tried to view them on the "user page" it's all blank and all i see is a thin line from something that appears to be a table of some sort.

Quest
  • 2006/11/14 14:31

• Quest

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/19

Hi ya MsDana. I took inspiration from your post and decided to give it another shot, well okay it has taken me nearly 3 more shots (and not liquor either) but I did manage to get it working. I have not isolated the why nor the how of the problem yet but am working on it. Marcan I believe is working on a new version 1.0.8 with bug fixes but it is still beta. The 1.0.8 beta is the version I finally got to work but not without difficulties.
In short, I think the 1.0.4 Final version will work too but I will have to uninstall the 1.0.8 and then reinstall the 1.0.4 version to see.
Specifically I got a blankity blankity blank blank page!

After updating to using the upgrade instructs for the 1.0.8 version, which didn't work, I had to uninstall the upgrade then install a complete fresh 1.0.8 beta version. That got me in but still I got the blankity blank blank page. I fiddled around, stomped, said some not so nice words and suddenly it works, version 1.0.8 beta that is.
It appears (as I have not verified this) that their is a problem with the Smartfaq admin blocks cpanel. I had all permissions set correctly etc. I finally gave up on it, checked my permissions and went into the XOOPS admin/system/blocks cpanel and set the blocks the way I wanted them. Viola! It started working!

Beats me! I am going to unistall the version 1.0.8 beta and reinstall the 1.0.4 Final and see if it will work using the same method above. Sure hope I don't get that blankity blankity blank blank page again!

Any ideas you have would be greatly appreciated.

Quest

msdana
  • 2006/11/14 15:00

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/12/11

Well, I'm baffled

I installed the beta 1.08 on XOOPS 2.0.15. After reading your post, Quest, I decided to do a thorough check of this module and I don't have any problems LOL

There aren't alot of FAQs on the site right now, probably eight or so and permissions are set within the module as well as the Groups.

Needless to say, I'm at a complete loss
[size=x-small]If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.[/size]
Graphic Worx : Xoops Themes

Lobotomy
  • 2006/11/15 9:11

• Lobotomy

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/11/14

Ugh!

Good news Quest! . You got me inspired, i'll try to set the block permissions instead, perhaps there is a glitch in the the permissions somewhere. (i've tried the 1.0.8 beta 4 with same blanketiblankie page ).

Keep it up!

I'll keep you guys posted if i find something usefull =)

Login

Who's Online

232 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 232

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits