flexlearn
xoops2 vers. xoops 2.0.x
  • 2006/10/25 6:51

• flexlearn

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/10/25

Hi
What is the difference between xoops2.x and XOOPS 2.0.x?
Best regards
Kim

wizanda
Re: xoops2 vers. xoops 2.0.x
  • 2006/10/25 7:17

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

Getting less and less by the day

2.0.15 stable
2.2 not stable...well almost...yet 2 are becoming 1

irmtfan
  • 2006/10/25 8:06

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

Quote:
2.2 not stable

dont agreed.
xoops 2.2* is stable enough and i use it in my busy site.

but it is not recommended.
because:
1- modules/themes will create base on XOOPS 2.0 and XOOPS 2.3
some module/theme developers decided to dont support XOOPS 2.2 anymore.

2- XOOPS 2.0 upgarde to 2.3 but 2.2 must wait until 2.4 and 2.3 release will be much sooner than 2.4

xoops 2.2 has some advantages for some sites (mainly it's profile module)
but in general choose XOOPS 2.0 in firts step.

aph3x
  • 2006/10/25 9:38

• aph3x

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2004/12/26

I agree with irmtfan XOOPS 2.2.x is stable enough and I dare to say that I found it more stable than 2.0.1.5 ..that's my personal opinion anyway...
Why would I say that?

Simply because if one searches the forum he'll find more bugs submited and more articles of incompatibility with other modules than 2.2.x had.
Sure it was removed from the download section long time ago but that didn't stoped people to browse the sourceforge XOOPS repository. And sure one can allways say that 2.2.x didn't had so many bugs related posts because it was removed from repository here.

I don't encourage people of using that version (2.2.x), as it is said that the 2.0.1.5 users will make the switch to the future version faster than the 2.2.x users. I wouldn't mind using it longer because administration of 2.2.x just rocks and a simple search in the forum here gaved me the hack for down blocks so with that added my 2.2.x is still better than the 2.0.1.x

Now regardless the version preferences...XOOPS is still the best CMS out there otherwise we wouldn't be here
Everything I'm not made me everything I am
The Themes

Quest
  • 2006/10/25 11:17

• Quest

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/19

There is a history behind the two versions which from what I understand is better not to elaborate on. In short the best I have been able to determine is the XOOPS 2.xvers. was started with great things in mind and does indeed offer some enchanced functions which currently the original 2.x.x does not have. But. The direction the coding was going and the enchanced changes the 2.x version incorporated was eventually going to lead to a serious problem with upgrades for the masses using the 2.x.x xoops. So the masters and the collective determined to keep XOOPS a top CMS and to bring it to an even greater CMS reverted back to the XOOPS 2.x.x developement.
With the creation of the 2.x version themes and modules didn't work properly unless they too were reworked. Many contributers, users and beginners were very frustrated by this sudden turn of events as XOOPS had already suffered a nasty attack by a vindictive evil person who tried to bring the org down. Imagine putting hours, days, weeks, months into building your site and user membership to suddenly one day wake up and not be able to upgrade to the latest and greatest of the very CMS you had resolved yourself to using and contributing to. Unless of course you trashed what you had or spent countless hours and days on end, reworking themes, code etc to only in the end hopefully salvage only part of what you had already created and built. I don't know about you but the mear thought and writing of this is giving me an anxiety attack!
The masters are now as I type devoting many hours behind the scenes to release the next version of XOOPS which I believe is the version which initially connects the 2.x.x and the 2.x together. Once this is completed Xoosphere can then be realized down the road.

This is all my own humble opinion and understanding which does not mean it is right.

Believe me, this was the short version!

Remember: Sacrifices are often made by great people for the better of the whole community than just the few.

Quest

m0nty
  • 2006/10/25 14:20

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

that pretty much sums it all up..

essentially, if you actually desperately need the extended profiles option that 2.2 brings, then go with 2.2.

if you don't need it stick to the recommended 2.0.x route..

of course there are profile hacks for 2.0.x series (blatant plug here for my own photo & profile hack ) so there are methods around for extending the profiles on 2.0.x if you need to, but it makes upgrading XOOPS versions a little more time consuming as you have to either redo the hacks yourself when you upgrade or wait for a dev to redo the hack for the new version..

irmtfan
  • 2006/10/25 14:40

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

also i must add one other advantage for XOOPS 2.2 and that's better localization.

for example persians use hegira date and local.php help us a lot to add just a jdate function and not hack a core function in include/functions.php.

i just think XOOPS can do it far better in future versions but in 2.0 still it's not possible.
ex:
language/YOURLANG/local.css
..................local.php
..................local.js

i just think its a very needed for LOCALIZATION.

Login

Who's Online

140 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 140

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits