rabideau
Amazon aStore
  • 2006/8/30 12:30

• rabideau

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/4/25

Has anyone successfully added Amazon's new aStore to one of their XOOPS Websites?

If so, pointers and lessons-learned are most appreciated. Also, I'd love to see what you implemented and how it looks; perhaps others would, also.
Pax vobiscum,
...mark

may the road rise to meet your feet!

http://treemagic.org

sailjapan
Re: Amazon aStore

I'd love to see a "Cafe Press" style module for this.
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

eric235u
  • 2006/8/31 15:44

• eric235u

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/12/19

i merely link to my astore, but it wouldn't be difficult to stick it into a block. my only complaint it that i wish it didn't point users to any product that i can't get a commission on. such as "Listmania!" show's product that users have to purchase from the amazon site instead of my site. nevertheless astore seems like an easy way to get a store up online. i don't really think a module is useful for this but that also shouldn't be hard to slap together if wanted.

martyboy
  • 2006/8/31 16:50

• martyboy

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/25

I was looking at the Astore thing when I was logged into my affiliate account the other day, according toa post in the support forum amazon will be making it so you can add the store into your own site rather than just linking to it, probably just a copy and past the code job, if so wouldnt be too hard to put it into a custom single page module.
Michael Jackson = King Of Pop

Xoops = King Of CMS

gestroud
  • 2006/8/31 18:12

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

It's a good script and easy to add to a content/static HTML module without much trouble; just create a frame for it.

The only problem seems to be that if you pick featured products, it looks like you're stuck with them until you manually change it. It's great if you only want to showcase a few specific items, but the latest bestsellers don't seem to be automatically showcased.

I think a better Amazon script is MrRat's. You can frame any product category and it autoupdates. You'll need to do some image size and color tweaking.

Example using the XOOPS content module

Another good script is the Associate-0-Matic which comes in free and paid versions.

Examples

Big Woody.US - used as a subdomain of a XOOPS site

and another subdomain:

Westchester County Today (site is under construction )

Some other intersting php scripts can be found here.

eric235u
  • 2006/8/31 22:14

• eric235u

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/12/19

good links man!

JackBMK
  • 2006/9/10 5:40

• JackBMK

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/7/4 2

I've installed the Content Module, but I'm kind of ignorant about how it works. How did you implement MrRat's Amazon Product Feeds using the module? What the heck do I put where?

Allow me to add here, "Argh."

Thanks in advance!

shim007
  • 2006/9/10 6:12

• shim007

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/12/29

Here is the aStore on my site Diseases From Animals Animals.

gestroud
  • 2006/9/10 8:19

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

JackBMK,

The script goes into your cgi-bin folder.

If you don't have one, just create a directory, preferably outsidee of the XOOPS root. Call it cgi-bin and chmod it to 755 or 777, depending on what your server allows. Create an index.html file and upload it into the directory.

Upload the Amazon script apf4 folder into the cgi-bin folder. There are specific instructions on his site concerning which files need to be uploaded as ASCII files and which need to be uploaded as Binary files. I usually set my FTP program to Auto Detect - haven't had any problems yet, but I thought I'd let you know.

Once the files are uploaded, open the apf4 folder.

The should be two .cgi files: apf_config.cgi and a second .cgi file called (I think) apf_amazonproductfeed.cgi.

Chmod both of them to 755 or 777 depending on what your server allows.

Typehttp://name of your path to cgi.com / cgi-bin / apf4 / apf_config.cgi (omit the spaces) in your web browser to set up your preferences. You'll need to create a password.

If you see an "Internal Server Error" page, change the chmod settings on the cgi files and the cgi-bin folder.

Once you're in, everything in that section is pretty straightforward.

Next, type in the web address for the second cgi file. (I renamed mine to shop.cgi to make it easier to remember)

If everything went well, you should see a basic directory of all the available Amazon categories.

Click a link or do a search to find the categories that you want to display on your site.

Copy the url of the page you've decided upon using.

Create an HTML page with an i-frame inside of it. Set the i-frame's width to 100%, height about 2000 to 2500 px and frameborder="0". Set src= to the url that you just copied

Upload the HTML file you just created into the "content" folder that is inside the Content module.

Go into the Content module's "Add Pagewrap" section and set up the page you uploaded.

You may or may not need to resize the height of the i-frame.

You can create and add as many pages as you want.

Hopefully, this will help a little bit.

JackBMK
  • 2006/9/10 16:52

• JackBMK

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/7/4 2

Wow, thank you. I've set up the APF once before, but it's been a while. It was just getting that darned file into XOOPS that was stumping me.

Thanks again!

Login

Who's Online

169 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 169

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits