eejut
How to disable the pdf option in newbb?
  • 2006/8/14 20:41

• eejut

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/5/16

Hi, i just had an email from my hosts saying that a script i have is using up too much od the resources and they are going to boot me off if i dont fix it

iam using NewBB 2.0 version 2.02 (2.02)
they said that a script ..newbb/makepdf.php was using quite a huge chunk of resources
and they had renamed it to newbb/makepdf.php.disabled.
and for me to fix whatever..
"You may take steps to correct the problem. This must be done before the
seven (7) days are up. You will need to let the technician know the steps you
took to correct the issue and get approval before being returned to a
production server."
but if they have renamed the offending script..what steps can i take to make sure its not going to hog the usage
i dont want to be removed from the hosting ,is there a way i can actually remove the pdf option from the script?
any advice would be handy
cheers

Cuidiu
Re: How to disable the pdf option in newbb?
  • 2006/8/14 23:56

• Cuidiu

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2006/4/23

Hi eejut,

I am wondering how the script is using resources. Is your forum open to the anonymous users? If so, I imagine there could be search engines or rogue bots/crawlers following each post to the makepdf.php link. Do you have a popular forum with many posts? If not open to anonymous users, I don't know what it could be. I would suggest upgrading to CBB but I'm not sure how smoothly upgrades go these days. I've only upgraded on a demo site, never from an active popular forum. Perhaps you could temporarily remove the makepdf link from the template until you decide on a more permanent solution?
Quote:

eejut wrote:
Hi, i just had an email from my hosts saying that a script i have is using up too much od the resources and they are going to boot me off if i dont fix it

iam using NewBB 2.0 version 2.02 (2.02)
[size=x-small]Working sites:
XOOPS 2.0.16 PHP 5.2.2, MySQL 5.0.24a-standard-log, Apache/2.0.54 (Unix)
XOOPS 2.2.4, PHP 4.3.10, MySQL 3.23.58, Apache/1.3.33 (Unix)[/size]

eejut
  • 2006/8/15 9:08

• eejut

• Just popping in

ahhh you know Cuidiu,you may be onto something here
My forum is open to anonymous viewing and i did see something in the report about googlebot

HTTP_ACCEPT=*/*
HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING=gzip
HTTP_CONNECTION=Keep-alive
HTTP_FROM=googlebot(at)googlebot.com
HTTP_HOST=www.gamehacking.co.uk
HTTP_USER_AGENT=Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Googlebot/2.1;
+http://www.google.com/bot.html)
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin
REMOTE_ADDR=66.249.65.174
REMOTE_HOST=crawl-66-249-65-174.googlebot.com
REMOTE_PORT=61821
SCRIPT_FILENAME=public_html/modules/newbb/makepdf.php

there are over 2000 members and gaining approx 60 new per day on average,although quite a few never post,thats why i have a 5 posts min to be able to download anything
you any idea how i can fix this?
How would i remove the makepdf link from the template ?
any help would be gratefully recieved

Cheers
*/

Cuidiu
  • 2006/8/15 21:42

• Cuidiu

• Quite a regular

Hi eejut,

Lately, I've been using CBB 3.05 on my sites so the makepdf link is different. I took a look at one of the first versions of newbb I downloaded but I'm guessing the version isn't the same because I can't find the link right off. What I did find in the general vicinity was this in the newbb_thread.html template on around line 74 near the bottom:
<{foreach item=abtn from=$topic_post.thread_action}> <a href="<{$abtn.link}>&post_id=<{$topic_post.post_id}>" target="_blank" title="<{$abtn.name}>"> <{$abtn.image}>a> <{/foreach}>
I'm wondering if that doesn't contain the pdf link and image. You could try commenting out that line (backup your file first, of course!) then update newbb and see if the links still appear. It could be in a different template and/or more than one template.

For me, removing or adjusting these things in a template if they are not obvious is hit and miss until you get it right. You could do a search within your newbb folder of php files containing makepdf.php and track it down from there. Or hopefully someone here will tell you exactly where to find it. Good luck!

C

Quote:
eejut wrote:
How would i remove the makepdf link from the template ?
any help would be gratefully recieved

eejut
  • 2006/8/15 22:45

• eejut

• Just popping in

hi again,Thanks for the reply Cuidiu,i have had a look but i cant find any referance to it for love nor money :(
god knows where its kept ,i appreciate the time you took out to look for it and i thanks you for that .
does anyone else have a clue how to perm disable the makepdf?

Cuidiu
  • 2006/8/16 0:49

• Cuidiu

• Quite a regular

I hope someone will come along to help. I might also suggest posting in this forum. Maybe someone in there can help...?

The only thing I could come up with is this in post.php:
$thread_action['pdf']['image'] = newbb_displayImage($forumImage['pdf'], _MD_PDF);
$thread_action['pdf']['link'] = "makepdf.php?type=post&pageid=0&scale=0.66";
$thread_action['pdf']['name'] = _MD_PDF;

Maybe you could comment out those lines...? I wouldn't advise it without having a backup handy to overwrite it quickly in case you get an internal server error or something. Otherwise, I'll leave you to the experts and good luck again. I know what it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack. :(

C
Quote:

eejut wrote:
hi again,Thanks for the reply Cuidiu,i have had a look but i cant find any referance to it for love nor money :(
god knows where its kept ,i appreciate the time you took out to look for it and i thanks you for that .
does anyone else have a clue how to perm disable the makepdf?

Login

Who's Online

276 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 276

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits