Lance_
charset encoding on theme problem
  • 2006/8/12 18:00

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

Hey folks,

I'm having a charset breakdown and can't get a hold of it.

The problem is as follows, I have xlanguage (both languages set to utf8) installed and the site runs fine on my old themes. Just installed a temasweb theme and now special characters in french are messed up.

On the top of the temasweb theme css file is the line
@charset "utf-8";
So I figure this sets to the same charset as xlanguage so shouldn't mess up anything. Tried commenting it out anyway with no difference on the site.

The question is, where should I look to fix or modify the charset to try and fix this? Where else would the theme affect the charset?

Cheers.
GDL-Web.com :: Website development.
Xoopslance.com::Freelancing and Projects
thelionsden-arena.net:: Clan/League/Ladder Hosting

snow77
Re: charset encoding on theme problem
  • 2006/8/12 18:16

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/7/23

maybe it could get fixed if you put the head section of the the theme.html of the themes that do work for you replacing the head section of the temas web theme?
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

Lance_
  • 2006/8/12 18:37

• Lance_

• Home away from home

Tried that, still no go.

Very weird though, the Content module works fine, no encoding problems, I have problems with some pages in TinyD. Both modules have the same content as I 've switched from the first to the second.

And the blocks also have problems, especially the multimenu ones and custom blocks.

Daigoro
  • 2006/8/12 20:21

• Daigoro

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/7/3 2

I'd try to remove everything from your theme file, that has anything to do with the encoding of your contents. XOOPS (and xlanguage) should fill in whatever is needed to display your contents correct. The theme is just your wrapping.

Good luck.
Best regards,
Daigoro

Lance_
  • 2006/8/12 20:32

• Lance_

• Home away from home

Deleted all out of theme.html.
Commented it out in global.php of the languages.

Changed from utf8 to ISO-8859-1 in xlanguage.

Deleted templates_c, updated the system module.

Still the same result.

LOL really at a loss. I'm trying everything that can be changed.

Daigoro
  • 2006/8/12 22:58

• Daigoro

• Quite a regular

So the status is, the default XOOPS theme works. The TemasWeb theme does not work.

You mentioned cleaning up the theme.html file. What about the css file? Did you clean that, too?

As it appears to be a TemasWeb specific problem, and seeing that TemasWeb is actually selling their themes (see TemasWeb.com), did you try to talk to them about your problem?

Do you have an URL where the problem can be seen?
Best regards,
Daigoro

Lance_
  • 2006/8/13 3:09

• Lance_

• Home away from home

THe original theme used (not default) works fine, I,ve now tried with another theme I purchased from temasweb and that theme works fine.

I am in contact with temasweb to see if they can provide a solution, I've pointed them to this thread.

And no url available as I'M testing on a live site. SO I'll just wait to see what temasweb can do about it.

Cheers.

Daigoro
  • 2006/8/13 9:21

• Daigoro

• Quite a regular

Lance_ wrote:
Quote:

I am in contact with temasweb to see if they can provide a solution, I've pointed them to this thread.

Okay.
When they come up with a solusion, please compare the old and new files, and post the differences here. It may be something others can learn from, in order to avoid simmilar problems in the future.
Best regards,
Daigoro

red_Slider

there is one more thing:
every editor has a encoding definition to save in the file. 4e windows notes and wordpad has windows 1250 charset character in it. I use jEdit where U can fint option in saving files. I use charset=ISO-8859-2" to have polish (CE) text. U can find it in the jEdit's options.

The only thing (I suppose) you have to do is to write down your file in this chsrset.

Daigoro
  • 2006/8/13 11:59

• Daigoro

• Quite a regular

Red_Slider,

You are right. All files are writting in specifict encodings and you need to make sure the editor you are using will actually save the contents with that specific encoding.

Thus, if you try to show UTF8 encoded contents using ISO-8859-2 (pretty close to the Windows encoding in 1250), you will get two wierd looking characters for every character that's outside the normal (US) 128 chars in the ASCII definations.

The other way around, and you will also end up with some pretty strange characters.

However I don't think this is the problem here, as Lance actualy have the contents working, just with a different theme. This implies to me, that the contents is encoded correctly, but the visualisation (the theme) is screwed.
Best regards,
Daigoro

Login

Who's Online

212 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 212

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits