draj
Get rid of the right blocks?
  • 2006/6/4 7:51

• draj

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/6/23

Hello!

I just find it too much to have richt blocks on each and every module page of XOOPS org.

If the blocks on the right are required for several reasons, then there could be a different alternative to implement them, like arranging them in the center or left.

The disadvantage of them having on the right is that they result into occupying white space below them for each and every page generated.

The pages becomes longer and longer, especially in forums, news and other areas where user participation is more.

Hence there are few hundred users each minute who would be scrolling and scrolling each minute extra due to white spaces.

Assuming that each page has about extra 30 centimeter or one A4 paper sheet per user per minute, then each minute about 100 A4 paper sheets are scrolled each minute on an average!

That results to about 6000 A4 sheets per hour and 144.000 A4 sheets per day scrolling action per day on the website of xoops.org!!

Calculating per day length of the users forced to scroll, it works to be 43.200 meters or 43,2 Kilometers of an extra scrolling!!!

Quest
Re: Get rid of the right blocks?
  • 2006/6/4 12:07

• Quest

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/19

Wow! That's amazing math. I prefer to have the Right Blocks option for many reasons. One of which is the simplicity and ease with which I can Use Them, or NOT Use Them.

I was wondering if you could calculate for me the amount of time and white space used to scroll and read a long message which starts in the subject as a Question but the text never has a question.

Quest

draj
  • 2006/6/4 13:38

• draj

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/6/23

Hallo Quest!

Quote:

Quest wrote:
Wow! That's amazing math. I prefer to have the Right Blocks option for many reasons. One of which is the simplicity and ease with which I can Use Them, or NOT Use Them.

I was wondering if you could calculate for me the amount of time and white space used to scroll and read a long message which starts in the subject as a Question but the text never has a question.
Quest

Did you know that I always failed in maths!!!

What I meant is to find a sensible solution rather than silly solution to demonstrate to all the users on the XOOPS site.

To be really very precise:

In one month XOOPS management team wants all the users to carefully force a scrolling behaviour for about 1.296 Kilometers.

Do you know how many miles would it be?

Ofcourse I also use right blocks on my websites. However, they have been carefully placed and does not occupy white spaces!

davidl2
  • 2006/6/4 15:30

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Tell you what... instead of arguing about the mathematics... why not look at the other thread about the site redesign and try and come up with some design ideas

Quest
  • 2006/6/4 15:42

• Quest

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/19

I wouldn't know. But I think DavidL2 has a terific idea and suggestion. Especially for a person with such a tallent for numbers.

Sincerely,
Quest

Login

Who's Online

136 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 136

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits