briansol
Considering xoops for a client website
  • 2006/5/9 17:57

• briansol

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/5/9 1

Hi all,

I've been looking for a good solution to offer a client that I'm building a website for him to manage a small line of custom products. Now, i'm not looking for a shopping cart at all. This will simply be a site to display products (he makes custom wood-working things and wants a showcase/display/contact me if you want to buy). Since he will be changing products and making new crafts all the time, he wants a system where he won't have to bug me all the time to upload new pictures and such.

As stated, he's a carpenter, and thus has little computer skills at all.

So, i'm wondering if you all would recommend XOOPS in this situation.

I've looked into wordpress, but it's too "bloggy".
I've looked into joomala, but its over-kill.

Really all I want is a secure user login, and the ability for picture uploads and writing to be able to be posted to a site and is nicely organized.

Thanks for any suggestions.

wtravel
Re: Considering xoops for a client website

I think XOOPS will be perfect for what your client would like to do, as it takes care of the secure login and edit rights. Once you set up the module you plan to use for it correctly, all that your client will need to do is login now and then and upload new pictures.

A few options for the module you can use for the display:

1. You can take a photo album module as an example, where you can display pictures with a small comment underneath.

2. Another option would be an articles or sections module, but that would be more complicated to use. However, if your client requires a longer description to be added to the products, this would probably make it look nicer.

For the contact details you can use the default 'contact' module .

briansol
  • 2006/5/9 18:47

• briansol

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/5/9 1

So by reading that, it sounds like XOOPS comes in a "bare-bones" system, and you add each module that you want/need?

wtravel

Wel actually the default XOOPS download contains the core files, the system module and those consider the basics of XOOPS. But you will also find a few other modules in that download, such as a forum, web links etc.

In the module repository you will find many more modules.

jensclas

Take a look in the docs thread link below for our links to docs covering xoops. The official user guides will be of assitance to getting a better view of just how XOOPS works. Thread also covers why they are currently not more obviously available here - rest assured we are working on that!

Login

Who's Online

452 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 452

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits