hutman
Adding recent new blocks in xoops 2.0.13?
  • 2006/5/4 14:13

• hutman

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/3/15

I've downgraded to the latest 'stable' release as per the XOOPS team's instructions and I'm finding that this version is indeed better than 2.2.3 in many ways - however something I can't get my head around is how I add blocks?

In 2.2.3, if I installed a module like smartsection, I'd just click 'add recent item block' in the blocks section and I could add several recent item blocks as I needed.

In XOOPS 2.0.13 I can't seem to do this and I can only see one recent item block? Obviously this is of little use if you have more than one category in your news/reviews/gallery etc etc module - so could someone explain how I can do this?

Many thanks!

rabideau
Re: Adding recent new blocks in xoops 2.0.13?
  • 2006/5/4 14:27

• rabideau

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/4/25

I'm not certain what you mean by "Recent New Blocks".

2.0.13.2 allows the creation of Custom Blocks in the System Admin >> Blocks area.

Perhaps you'll find what you seek there.
Pax vobiscum,
...mark

may the road rise to meet your feet!

http://treemagic.org

hutman
  • 2006/5/4 15:01

• hutman

• Just popping in

well yes but those are just blank blocks basically?

Let's say I have news 1.44 installed and I have four news topics:
- XOOPS news
- module news
- theme news
- website news

now if I want four recent news blocks (ie one for each topic) how can I do this? I can make one easily, but then how do I add the extra ones - this is dead simple in 2.2.3, but the method appears to be eluding me in 2.0.13!

WarDick
  • 2006/5/4 15:45

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/9/13

Quote:

I use xf_newsmod_blocks to do this.
Urging XOOPS to be the Best It Can Be.
Richard......

hutman
  • 2006/5/4 17:59

• hutman

• Just popping in

aye I've got smdcom 1.0 for that - but what if I want more than one gallery block or an extra smartsection block or more than one forum block etc etc etc...

Does this basically need to be totally hacked by hand each time I simply want an extra block?

jensclas

Hi Hutman
Don't know if it will help but the operations manual covers block management in 2.0.13.2 nd there are also FAQ's on it here. Find the original guides here

the thread to all docs is below. HTH! the one that made most sense to me when i was starting out was jack J's XOOPS for dummies Johns tutorials are also extremely user friendly.

wizanda
  • 2006/5/4 22:43

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

Ok other then making numerous copies of the block template and then hacking it to say its there, I don't think there is any other way in 2.0.13.2??

I think this is one big points of the upgrade, when it is fully finnished.....

hutman
  • 2006/5/5 7:38

• hutman

• Just popping in

right! so I presume if I start hacking away and manually making blocks then this is going to cause chaos when I try to upgrade to the new version?

Does anyone know how close the upgrade is? Is it going to be months still or is Skalpa getting close? I know there's been a second alpha release...

wizanda
  • 2006/5/5 7:59

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

No you don't have to cause chaos, I have done similar for problem blocks before and made multiple copies of the template for the block that has the error.

Then make enteries in the files to point to it, just simply copying the block code again and again.
Solo did have guide on doing this in multimenu before it had so many menus as it does now.
I don't see why you shouldn't be able to make extra blocks within a module, using the same names yet adding a numerical order to it.

That way even when you upgrade XOOPS core it will remain the same within xoops, it will be the module that changes, so just be careful upgrading the module later.

If you segment your works within the files you change make titles and ends to your hacks.
When you do upgrade to news ..... you just copy the hack over.

Yet your choice as it means work...

Tefnut
  • 2006/5/5 8:04

• Tefnut

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/13

Quote:

WarDick wrote:
Quote:

I use xf_newsmod_blocks to do this.

does it work with last version of xoops?

Login

Who's Online

149 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 149

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits