patagon
xoops 2.2x,, 2.3, 4..more info needed
  • 2006/4/4 0:54

• patagon

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/1/8 0

Hi,

I am developing a site using 2.2 (I need the extra features for this kind of site). so far it works well, but this is not online, so testing is quite limited. However, if I go with 2.2 I wont be able to upgrade to 2.3 (I will be able to upgrade to 2.4 from what I read). According to the roadmap 2.3 would be available now, but so far it didnt happen, so my question would be when will 2.3 be available?

I'll clarify now that I'm not asking the developers for a fixed date, but an estimate would be very helpfull. neither am I complaining or anything...well, there is one small complain: I understand that developing this is very hard, that roadmaps and deadlines are hard to meet in softwre developing even on projects where people actually get paid, but I guess some other people are facing the same question on what to do...I think it would be very helpfull if the developers kept us more informed on whats going on...maybe something like a weekly (or less) short forum post with some news.

At last, if anyone is on the same position (not sure about weather to start with 2.2 or wait for 2.3) and wants to share his/hers opinions, that would help too

tripmon
Re: xoops 2.2x,, 2.3, 4..more info needed
  • 2006/4/4 1:04

• tripmon

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/2/28

Sry, No real help here, but,

Alpha is out, but no date for stable has been announced.

I would direct you to another location with more info, but it appears that all of the effort is being dedicated to the code and none to updates or status reports (most likley until it hits a Beta release).

The one thing I can say is that the development is not idle... I think we will hear something Official by May.

phppp
  • 2006/4/4 1:25

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

patagon, as you said, deadline or time table is hard to set for software dev, especially open source project.
I would expect the 2.3 final available in months, one or two? maybe

we can watch the progress by checking XOOPS SVN

patagon
  • 2006/4/4 1:54

• patagon

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/1/8 0

Thanks tripmon and phppp, I am starting to think I should wait for 2.3

maxpt
  • 2006/7/27 12:36

• maxpt

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/9/4 1

Posted on: 2006/4/4 2:25
Quote:

phppp wrote:
patagon, as you said, deadline or time table is hard to set for software dev, especially open source project.
I would expect the 2.3 final available in months, one or two? maybe

we can watch the progress by checking XOOPS SVN

now are 2006/07/27

we would expect the 2.3 final available in more 4 months. (with lucky)

The problem is that the Devs are working in 3 version of xoops, I never see this on others open source project..

E.g. Ubuntu Linux, when one release is out.. they working in the next relase, and only fix bugs in the past version.

Here in XOOPS not.. you implements new thing in 2.2, and next stop 2.2 version. only bug fixes now( i don't now here the bugs fixes are, but...)

Now you implements new thing in 2.3 (alpha), now you stop 2.3, and are implements new thing to 2.0.

What is this??
This isn't the problem to the development of xoops, (slow many bugs, etc..)

before we have only one XOOPS 2.0 (stable)
then we have two xoops, XOOPS 2.0 (stable) 2.2 (stable)
now we have three xoops, XOOPS 2.0 (stable) 2.2 (instable) 2.3 (developement)

and in this three version we are development? I not only one?
Marco Sousa
https://www.gaap.dev

davidl2
  • 2006/7/27 12:59

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Firstly, we need to make sure that the current releases are STABLE and SECURE for people who use them at the moment.

Do you really want the current versions completely abandoned with possible security issues? I'm sure most users do not.

2.0.x has been upgraded with some of the features for 2.3 as it is the lowest common denominator for XOOPS - and is based on a stable, mature core release. So therefore some changes where made to this to make 2.0.14.

Please be patient - and stop moaning all the time!

davidl2
  • 2006/7/27 13:00

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

(Thread locked as people keep covering the same things over and over again!)

Login

Who's Online

226 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 226

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits