tedsmith
Commercial Web Hosting vs Private Web Hosting
  • 2006/2/12 13:18

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

Hi

I own and run 2 non-profit commercially hosted web sites running XOOPS and I run and maintain a small internal Intranet serving a team of 8 people where security, performance etc do not need to be worried about, also using Xoops.

I am thinking of embarking on my third 'outside facing' web site, but instead of commercially hosting it I'm considering hosting it myself - setting up the MySQL database, Apache server, PHP, configuring the firewall, port forwarding from my router, the lot.

Why? Primarily to learn - I'm curious and want to expand my knowledge. I want to learn more about web and hosting security, performance enhancement, and I like the thought of being able to access all the data I'll ever need and have the freedom to configure everything the way I want to. But, at best I'm worried I'll take a year just configuring the server before I even start on the site, and at worst I'm worried that I'll mess something up, get hacked to pieces and I'll be sat wishing I'd stuck with my commercial host.

So my question : What would people recommend? What are the experiences of those who do host their own sites on the own hardware from their bedroom? Was it worth the hassle now you're up and running? Do you wish you'd stuck with a commercial host? What other benefits are there to private hosting? And finally, does any one know of a quick "How To Configure Your Web Server Safely" resource that I could read (read the XOOPS FAQ earlier but couldn't find such a document).

Looking forward to hearing your views....

Regards

Ted

m0nty
Re: Commercial Web Hosting vs Private Web Hosting
  • 2006/2/12 13:28

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

benefits of commercial hosting.

1. they have more bandwidth and can handle more users concurrently, and are faster (unless you happen to live in a datacenter) or your house has a better connection than a T1 line lol

2. you're using their servers, power supplies, backup power supplies and hardware ;) a power cut would cut your site off at home, your pc would have to be on all the time.

of course it all depends on how popular your site maybe and how many users you expect.. but i wouldn't recommend running a full time busy webserver on a UK home broadband account.. (they will bandwidth throttle you after a while) so a business connection would be needed..

Login

Who's Online

233 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 233

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits