Feneex
--= Idea on creating "XOOPS PERFORMANCE TEAM" =-
  • 2006/1/7 10:57

• Feneex

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/25

Hi,

Have seen many posts, where XOOPS users are complaining about the speed of their XOOPS instalations.

I have some of experience on mysql, apache, linux general performance tunning and sometimes it seems a good idea to create king of "Xoops Performance Team" - I could asist in such a questions a bit For me - it is speedy enough cms and working without significant bottlenecks.

Does anybody think, that sub-forum "Xoops Performance" in the "Xoops Hosting" would be a good idea to start with?

Herko
Re: --= Idea on creating "XOOPS PERFORMANCE TEAM" =-
  • 2006/1/7 11:19

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

great idea!

Herko

solo71
  • 2006/1/7 11:27

• solo71

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/1/29

Indeed.

Feneex
  • 2006/1/7 17:07

• Feneex

• Just popping in

Quote:

Herko Coomans wrote:
great idea!

Herko

p.s. couple minutes ago returned from birthday celebration - some fresh ideas after "moderate" amount of Kagor vine:

1. Name of the team (forum thread at the beginning):
Xoops Compatibility, Performance & SEO team. To organize also some SEO discussion seems good idea also - not because it is much related with performance, but because visitor quality, amount depends on site quality, speed and vice versa.
2. Purpose: To provide all the users, primarilly newbies and the ones experiencing the pain in heads and wallets when xoopsed sites are growing in terms of size and visitors, with help and second-tier assistance on boosting XOOPS performance (performance = less issues with hosting providers, less expences on dedicated, VPS server, less time spent on building hi-traffic, hi-availability xoopsed sites, more revenues from Google Adsense , more visitors, less troubles on finding the most suitable platforms, server services versions etc...)
3. Realization: a) forum thread with dedicated discussions on the things mentioned above. b) some faq's, readmes in XOOPS instalation on basic performance, compatibility, seo stuff c)collection of links on the seo, perf, comp to the articles on the outside sites (IT-HQ, Outofthebox, Xoops-Tips...). On the whole the idea to start on sub-forum in XOOPS hosting seems pretty attractive. As I remenber there were some outstanding benchmarks of different article modules, even other cms'es vs. xoops... The sticky topics may be good to start with!
4. Long term goals - ... I'll go to the second birthday after 5 minutes and return with the ideas Just to focus on some support may be ok for the beginning

p.s. sorry for spelling mistakes and English quality - I'm not in da best shape to provide top quality brainwork right now

Xman04
  • 2006/1/8 5:58

• Xman04

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/12

Yes! I would definitely find a forum like that to be very helpful. I think there is especially a need for information on how to get the most out of XOOPS on a shared server, since many people use shared hosting.

The resource availability on shared plans is very limited, which makes efficient XOOPS tuning very critical to performance.

Dave

Feneex
  • 2006/1/8 13:08

• Feneex

• Just popping in

Quote:

Xman04 wrote:
Yes! I would definitely find a forum like that to be very helpful. I think there is especially a need for information on how to get the most out of XOOPS on a shared server, since many people use shared hosting.

The resource availability on shared plans is very limited, which makes efficient XOOPS tuning very critical to performance.

Dave

Straight to the point!
Also if there are some problems with compatibility, low visitors amount , page refresh times it may be the first place to look at!

stefan88
  • 2006/1/8 16:37

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

Great idea

How about a step further - XOOPS SECURITY FORUM - with advice how to make XOOPS instalation more secure and also with some information on Linux, Windows, MySQL, Apache ...

Also with security announcements.

carnuke
  • 2006/1/8 19:31

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Good idea. One caveat ... Whatever is written in a forum will eventually be lost to the ordinary reader who cant search. And yes, its mostly newbies who need the info!

I have already posted and organised considerable info on this subject in the FAQ section and It seems approproate to keep this going.

If you (?) can compile a series of Q&AS or one document ... whaterver, It needs to be published in the Q&A so that's it's wasy to find. Alternativeley I can create a new category for 'Performance and optimisation' and copy all the relevent content over to it.

Don't forget to ask Brash and Ti to contribute some info ...they have a vast store of skills on this subject.

R.
http://houseofstrauss.co.uk Resource for alternative health and holistic lifestyle
search xoops

davidl2
  • 2006/1/8 19:34

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Would a wiki be a more sensible format?

Feneex
  • 2006/1/8 19:58

• Feneex

• Just popping in

Quote:

carnuke wrote:
Good idea. One caveat ... Whatever is written in a forum will eventually be lost to the ordinary reader who cant search. And yes, its mostly newbies who need the info!

I have already posted and organised considerable info on this subject in the FAQ section and It seems approproate to keep this going.

If you (?) can compile a series of Q&AS or one document ... whaterver, It needs to be published in the Q&A so that's it's wasy to find. Alternativeley I can create a new category for 'Performance and optimisation' and copy all the relevent content over to it.

Don't forget to ask Brash and Ti to contribute some info ...they have a vast store of skills on this subject.

R.

I'm still a newbie, but definitelly can share all my XOOPS knowledge, and I'll try to make some performance wiki doc maybe at the beginning of the next month, but on the whole my idea is to make a place for discussion on it. 9 of 10 xoops.org visitors are too lazy to search faq's - forums are their first step to get some help.

What I want to say is to take a bit more wide approach: to make successfull site doesn't mean only to design a nice theme and properly adjust blocks settings. XOOPS webmasters also need some other things as seo, a bit of general server knowledge, a bit of performance stuff, bit of security etc. XOOPS forums is a great resource base for pure technical info, but there is some lack of the answers on the simple question: how to make my site succesfull and popular using xoops? For example "Success stories" rubbish of commercial products may be an example of this, but in the less pompastic and commercial way of course

Login

Who's Online

237 user(s) are online (170 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 237

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits