comegona
Unable to edit theme.html
  • 2005/11/12 5:36

• comegona

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/11/9

Hello
I tried to update my theme.html file but was unable to see the result. I've read all the suggestions on updating the file but none worked.
-I've changed to YES the setting in Preferences-->General Preferences,
-I've also updated the System modules,
-I've copied the new file to the /themes/myThemes/ directory.
-I've cloned the Template file and used the new name within the Preferences-->General Preferences settings
-I tried to delete all files in the templates_c folder but that caused my site to show a blank page. Luckily I did a backup before I started.

Any other suggestions I can try? I'm using 2.0.13.2

Thanks

Will_H
Re: Unable to edit theme.html
  • 2005/11/12 6:07

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

well its very strange that deleting all the files in templates_c caused your site to crash. Perhaps you are editing the wrong file. You want to be editing

public_html > themes > your theme > theme.html

Heres the thing, theme.html isnt really going to control your colors or anything. if thats what you are shooting for perhaps you should be editing your .css file (style, styleNN, styleMAC)

If you are trying to edit things like blocks and footers and all that then yes the theme.html is the way to go.

**Nice site btw***

comegona
  • 2005/11/12 17:36

• comegona

• Not too shy to talk

Biteronboard, thanks for your reply.
The file I'm editing is the correct file. Its the public_html > themes > your theme > theme.html. I'm trying to remove the Docs in the top menue and add the Javascript at the bottom of the page for phpstats.
Before I was able to edit the theme.html and clear the templates_c folder and that did the trick. This was a few XOOPS versions back

rserrano
  • 2005/11/13 7:04

• rserrano

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/31

I'm having the same problem, I can see my MyTheme^theme.html in the templates_c directory, if I edit it shows is a old compiled template, if I delete it, I get a blank page. Is there a way to force the compilation of MyTheme^theme.html?

I do have the preferences option on: Update module template .html files from themes/your theme/templates directory?

Thanks

Robert

comegona
  • 2005/11/13 19:40

• comegona

• Not too shy to talk

I believe, based on what I read, the setting works only when you use the Default theme that is shipped with Xoops. I still havent found a solution.

TottoBG
  • 2005/11/13 20:12

• TottoBG

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/8/18

Quote:

rserrano wrote:
I'm having the same problem, I can see my MyTheme^theme.html in the templates_c directory, if I edit it shows is a old compiled template, if I delete it, I get a blank page. Is there a way to force the compilation of MyTheme^theme.html?

I do have the preferences option on: Update module template .html files from themes/your theme/templates directory?

Hey, it's not the file in the templates_c directory what you need to modify. But theme.html that is in your themes/Your theme/ directory. Like for example, /themes/default/theme.html .

Bananadude
  • 2005/11/13 21:45

• Bananadude

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/9/16

Quote:

comegona wrote:
Hello
I tried to update my theme.html file but was unable to see the result. I've read all the suggestions on updating the file but none worked.
-I've changed to YES the setting in Preferences-->General Preferences,
-I've also updated the System modules,
-I've copied the new file to the /themes/myThemes/ directory.
-I've cloned the Template file and used the new name within the Preferences-->General Preferences settings
-I tried to delete all files in the templates_c folder but that caused my site to show a blank page. Luckily I did a backup before I started.

Any other suggestions I can try? I'm using 2.0.13.2

Thanks

Try with deleting all your .html -files in the "cache" folder
--- censored by Bananadude ---

highlander
  • 2005/11/13 22:26

• highlander

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/12/5

Just a guess here but have you tried deleting the files out of your browsers cache ?

Kind regards, Highlander
So, I'm in the park wondering why frisbees get larger as they get closer when suddenly, it hits me...
www.AnimalPedigree.com

m0nty
  • 2005/11/13 22:41

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

if you get a blank site after deleting the files inside templates_c folder, then you have another underlying problem somewhere.

maybe some edits you made, or maybe some edits you made with your theme.

comegona
  • 2005/11/13 22:57

• comegona

• Not too shy to talk

I was about to write a long reply when I thought of turning on the PHP debug. I saw an error where Smarty couldnt write to templates_c. I had the permissions set to 777 as I was doing this troubleshooting buy for some reasion it was at 755. I cahnged it to 777 and it all worked.

I'm not sure if that did it or by mistake I did something that caused it to work. Buy it worked and all the changes are there.

With that said, with templates_c at 755 would the site still work even though there is no write permissions set?

I would like to thank all for your assistance.

Thanks.

Login

Who's Online

165 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 165

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits