lasergazer
Comparative Study: Drupal, XOOPS, Joomla, Tikiwiki/Bitweaver, Xaraya, Moodle
  • 2005/11/8 15:03

• lasergazer

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/11/8

I've narrowed a list of PHP 5.x - compatible CMSs down to this list. Given the expected speed increases with using PHP 5.1, I want to be in a position to use that with the CMS I settle on, once PHP 5.1 is stable.

What experiences have users had with these systems, and how would you compare them as extensible, well-performing frameworks? Architecture, OOP/procedural style, usability and functionality are also important to me, in addition to the sense you have of their development teams and communities.

Just looking for a little feedback to tip me one way or another or to rule out a few undesirable choices.

MadFish
RE: Comparative Study: Drupal, XOOPS, Joomla, Tikiwiki/Bitweaver, Xaraya, Moodle
  • 2005/11/8 15:24

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

There are many, many previous threads on this topic and its pretty hard to get an unbiased opinion out of a bunch of XOOPS users. However, Mith wrote a comparison of comparison of XOOPS, Xaraya, Mambo and Drupal sometime back you might find useful.

LazyBadger
RE: Comparative Study: Drupal, XOOPS, Joomla, Tikiwiki/Bitweaver, Xaraya, Moodle

Quote:

lasergazer wrote:
Just looking for a little feedback to tip me one way or another or to rule out a few undesirable choices.

1. There aren't CMS-experts here with wide andclean vision
2. There aren't qualified users of these CMS

You'll not be able to get good answer from this site users - [Edit by Moderator: partially removed - bashing site users]

I can give some comments and observations (own, subjective opinions, marked with "IMHO") around Drupal, Mambo-Joomla, Xaraya, Sitellite, eZPublish - it's not a problem for me to repeat information instead of sending to [Edit by moderator: word removed - Language!] (i.e in local search)

[Edit: Xoopsiquette]
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Webmaster of
XOOPS2.RU
XOOPS Modules Proving Ground
XOOPS Themes Exhibition

MadFish
  • 2005/11/8 16:19

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Well why don't you do that?

kaotik
Re: Comparative Study: Drupal, XOOPS, Joomla, Tikiwiki/Bitweaver, Xaraya, Moodle
  • 2005/11/8 16:30

• kaotik

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/2/19

Hi lasergazer

First off, welcome to Xoops!

Here's the main diferences I find in those cms's:
Drupal- Streamlined code although no instaltion script so you will have to setup some files and the DB beforehand (not hard just alerting to the fact). The taxonomy ideia can be a little confusing at first but is a very powerfull feature which allows you to group diferent types of data into common groups.
Mambo/Joomla- Without a doubt the most user-friendly and intuitive for a beginner. It's admin menu's are well thought out and graphicly rich. It does however lack in some areas such as assigning permissions to users. It currently uses 3 lebels of users, anonymous, registered and special.
Xaraya- Has some very powerfull features such as true multilanguage support although it's still in beta.
Xoops- Has a long history wich reflects in it's code heritage. It has many powerfull features such as group permissions, user profile fields (in new 2.2) which allows you to create your own customized fields for users, such as address, hobbies, etc. Modules work in their own subcategory which allows you to maintain and edit them in an easier fashion.

The others I haven't tried.
www.kaotik.biz

Bender
Re: Comparative Study: Drupal, XOOPS, Joomla, Tikiwiki/Bitweaver, Xaraya, Moodle
  • 2005/11/8 19:21

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Everyone - please stay on topic of the original question and donĀ“t discuss about posting #3.

Thank you in advance.
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

brash
  • 2005/11/8 22:08

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Compatibility woth PHP 5.1 will be another thing you'll need to look at lasergazer. With XOOPS it's general not a large wait until the core is brought up to spec, but some of the modules submitted can lag behind a bit, and sometimes never get updated at all. What I am trying to say is that unless you are a coder, or have a budget to burn on hiring a coder, then I would be looking to get the functionality you need as one of your primary selection criteria. If your server is even only of moderate specs and is configured correctly, then speed shouldn't be a huge issue for you unless you are serving 10's of thousands of visitors an hour. I wrote a guide on performance tuning XOOPS on IIS where I got up to a 1000% increase in performance in some cases, with over a 300% increase in successfully served HTTP requests over the default values. All these gains were made without touching a single line of XOOPS code.
IT Headquarters
Innovative IT Solutions

Login

Who's Online

185 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 185

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits