riclanders
A Huge Mistake
  • 2005/11/8 4:44

• riclanders

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/11/7

I uploaded PostNuke files into my XOOPS directory. I mixed up html folders. I wanted to upgrade xoop but forgot I had put the full installation PostNuke Html folder on the desktop.

Then thinking I could correct it, I installed the XOOPS html folder upgrade. This didn't work so I downloaded the latest XOOPS and installed it -- not all the way, though, so my XOOPS database files should be ok, right?

I quit the installation just before the database thing.

Also, I never backed up my site.

Question: Can I get my site back?

ric

Jharis
Re: A Huge Mistake
  • 2005/11/8 5:14

• Jharis

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/13

Thats like mixing peanut butter and chocolate.

Someone jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.

You can view your db with cpanel, phpmyadmin whatever your host provides. I think you XOOPS db will still be there since you said you didn't delete it. I also doubt you find any postnuke tables installed because you stopped before that point. If any thing from postnuke did get installed you can just drop the tables.

If you mainfile.php is intact (chmod444) it didn't get overwritten so your probably ok. You might be able to remove the postnuke folders, and re-install the XOOPS update.

I'm being a little vague here because this is new to me too. If I can help you I will, but you might need someone more experienced than me.

don (el paso)
motto - green chili for everything!

MadFish
  • 2005/11/8 5:19

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

First thing - back up your database (and site) as it is now, before you go playing around with it any more!!

*If* you didn't overwrite your XOOPS database tables then you should be able to get your site back. I suggest cleaning out your directory and uploading a clean install of XOOPS including the modules that you need. Then upload your database and you should be ok.

But really, BACKUP YOUR SITE FIRST. That way if you make things worse, at least you can go back to the starting point and try again.

Bender
  • 2005/11/8 5:19

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

1. Backup everything (incl. database) first to then play around

2. Upload all the XOOPS files except mainfile.php (in XOOPS rootdir)

2a. If you have overwritten mainfile.php already then you need to hand edit it and enter your site information manually (siteurl; path; database name; database pw)

3. Run your site and make a list of the modules you are using (versions)

4. rename your main XOOPS folder and create a new one with the same name

5. just upload XOOPS and all required modules again

6. copy mainfile.php from the backup over the current one

7. copy all required files from additional directories (e.g. xoops-rootdir/uploads) over to the new directory

7. check if it works

[wow two people posted while i was typing ...]
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

Jharis
  • 2005/11/8 7:20

• Jharis

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/13

Quote:
[wow two people posted while i was typing ...]

Somebody needs to oil bender!

Can't believe I forgot to mention backups. I can feel the karma points slipping away.

don (el paso)
motto - green chili for everything!

riclanders
  • 2005/11/8 14:19

• riclanders

• Just popping in

Quote:

MadFish wrote:
First thing - back up your database (and site) as it is now, before you go playing around with it any more!!

*If* you didn't overwrite your XOOPS database tables then you should be able to get your site back. I suggest cleaning out your directory and uploading a clean install of XOOPS including the modules that you need. Then upload your database and you should be ok.

But really, BACKUP YOUR SITE FIRST. That way if you make things worse, at least you can go back to the starting point and try again.

This sounds easiest.

Ok, how do I back up my database?

Then how do I upload it?

I've got cpanel.

ric

MadFish
  • 2005/11/8 15:10

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Bender's instructions are actually a lot better. Anyway, to backup and restore your database you probably have a couple of options.

Maybe the easiest is to go to the 'backup' icon in Cpanel which lets you download your database with one click. It also has a simple browse & upload system to restore a database (I have to say that I've never actually used this feature of cpanel, so I have no idea if it works as advertised).

However, the way I usually do it is using phpMyAdmin. See the XOOPS FAQ on backing up your site for that.

One lesson I learned the hard way is that you should test that your backup procedure *actually works* before you rely on it, but in this case you may not have much choice.

riclanders
  • 2005/11/8 21:38

• riclanders

• Just popping in

Hey, it worked beautifully -- everything restored ...

except that when I try to log in or go to any of the links I get a blank page with this:

"XOOPS path check: Script is not inside XOOPS_ROOT_PATH and cannot run."

ric

Login

Who's Online

98 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 98

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits