Shine
Xoops 2.0.13.1/2 and PhP 4.4
  • 2005/10/28 19:29

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/7/22

Yesterday my webhoster upgraded the php version 4.(1) to 4.4
After that action I get a lot, and I mean really a long list, of notices msgs considering the XOOPS core files.
Surely I contacted my webhost. They stated no settings are different than the previous version.

Am I the only one who encounters this?
And how can this be solved?

Grtz., Shine

Btw.......great to xoops.org is back!

Mithrandir
Re: Xoops 2.0.13.1/2 and PhP 4.4

errrr... I commented on that, when I closed your bug report.

PHP 4.4 changes something that has been in PHP for a loooooong time, but which they (PHP Devs) only recently found was the cause of some nasty memory leaks.

Therefore, PHP 4.4 will throw notices and warnings - and even errors - that were not in PHP 4.3.x and prior (and not in PHP 5.0.x)

XOOPS 2.2.3 Final will reduce these notices substantially and I will see if we can't get some guidelines out about how to avoid those notices.
"When you can flatten entire cities at a whim, a tendency towards quiet reflection and seeing-things-from-the-other-fellow's-point-of-view is seldom necessary."

Cusix Software

phppp
  • 2005/10/28 19:34

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

The bad side, it would be a labour work to fix the problem.

The good side, according to my test, XOOPS core works with PHP 4.4/5.1 without functionality loss.
However a very few modules have functional problems.

Shine
  • 2005/10/28 20:17

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

Quote:
errrr... I commented on that, when I closed your bug report.

And I was thinking.......Why the heck did they throw my 'bug-report' away? I've never found my posting back on sourcef. today. (is it still there or where is it?)
So your commenting on that report I've also never read.
Understand I correctly that a higher phph version has turned back the clock somehow and there fore these list of core notices won't turn up anymore?

If I understand you correct I will have to wait until 2.2.3 (really stable release)
But what if I want to stick to 2.0.13.1/2 for the time being?
Apart from that, 2.2.3.....still a lot of modules won't run within this 2.2.x version. And no offence.....but after fiddling for over a year, copying and pasting all content word by word (still busy but the end is finally showing) within the 2.x version I really don't feel like doing this again within this short time.
Firstly I need to find the appropiate working modules, clone them several times again,.....well you get my drift.

Isn't there any chance the 2.0.13.2 will run without this long list of core notices? Apart from disabling debug?
Although fixing this would be a labour work isn;'t there realy any chance...?

Quote:
The good side, according to my test, XOOPS core works with PHP 4.4

You mean dispite all these awfull debug notice msgs?

Grtz., Shine

phppp
  • 2005/10/28 20:20

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Quote:

Shine wrote:

Quote:
The good side, according to my test, XOOPS core works with PHP 4.4

You mean dispite all these awfull debug notice msgs?

Grtz., Shine

Yes, if you do not mind disable php debug.

Actually it is more (not totally) of a PHP problem than of a XOOPS problem.

brash
  • 2005/10/28 22:51

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Agree with phppp and Mith here. The changes in PHP 4.4 have brought a LOT of PHP apps unstuck all around the world. I have also read that if you update to PHP 4.4 without updating to the latest zend optimiser it can also cause issues.
IT Headquarters
Innovative IT Solutions

Shine
  • 2005/10/29 7:43

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

Hm,.....oke, disable debug and think as if there are no notice msgs.

Brash, could you give me a link to an article considering this needed update of the zend optimiser ?
Because I don't believe my webhost has updated this version. Before I contact them, I need to know how I can ensure them also to update Zend. Specially if what you say is thruh. I can refer my webhost to this article.

Last question:
Which php version is better/stable:
version 4.1(3) or 4.4 ?
Did the php-devs turn back the clock within version 5.0? Because as you say this phpversion gives a lot less notices debug msgs. Otherwise I'd think that if somebody installs XOOPS 2.0.13.1/2 on php5 they also get this long list of xoopscore debug msgs.

Please forgive my further asking. I just try to understand.

Thanks,
grtz., Shine

Mithrandir

The notices that are triggered in PHP 4.4 are also triggered in PHP 5.1, but not in PHP 5.0

PHP 4.4 was released after PHP 5.0, backporting the critical things, the PHP devs found when developing PHP 5.1
"When you can flatten entire cities at a whim, a tendency towards quiet reflection and seeing-things-from-the-other-fellow's-point-of-view is seldom necessary."

Cusix Software

nikki
  • 2005/11/1 18:47

• nikki

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/10/31

Hi everyone,

I'm a Newbie, and was redirected to this thread from another.

I'm still unclear what i'm supposed to do now. Disable some debug thingy?

This is what I'm getting:
Quote:

Notice [PHP]: Only variables should be assigned by reference in file kernel/profile.php line 94
Notice [PHP]: Only variables should be assigned by reference in file include/common.php line 215
Notice [PHP]: Only variables should be assigned by reference in file kernel/config.php line 239
Notice [PHP]: Only variables should be assigned by reference in file kernel/config.php line 239
Notice [PHP]: Only variables should be assigned by reference in file kernel/groupperm.php line 229
Notice [PHP]: Only variables should be assigned by reference in file kernel/blockinstance.php line 169

and more

If what you're talking about has to do with this, could you please explain what i should do to get rid of the notices from my front page?

TIA :)

Bender
  • 2005/11/1 18:58

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Go into your website administration

»» Preferences Main
»» General Settings
»» Debug Mode: Off
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

Login

Who's Online

234 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 234

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits