xoopie
News module - Recent news block
  • 2005/9/1 14:55

• xoopie

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/16

Hi,

I'm wanting to use the recent news block of the 1.4 news module.

When I do and use it to spotlight an article, the article title is coloured orange by default. I have changed this colour in the block template to what I want but it is still showing as orange. Can anyone tell me where else I should change it for the colour to change, or what else I should be doing ?

Thanks.

gestroud
Re: News module - Recent news block
  • 2005/9/1 18:02

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

That's a question I've been meaning to ask for a while now. It looks terrible to me.

Mithrandir

Did you change the template file in modules/news/templates/blocks ?

If so, update the News module and your changes should be visible.
"When you can flatten entire cities at a whim, a tendency towards quiet reflection and seeing-things-from-the-other-fellow's-point-of-view is seldom necessary."

Cusix Software

nikki
  • 2006/2/10 16:04

• nikki

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/10/31

Hi,

Does anyone know which file exactly?

I don't have a 'recent news' template file. I've looked through them and none have a color specified anywhere.

I've been trying to do this for weeks.

Liger
  • 2006/2/11 6:09

• Liger

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/1/26

Hmmm that's odd. That was one of the first things I changed when I noticed that ugly color after I added a spotlight recent news to my center block. I changed mine with no problem to a color that went along with my theme. I didn't have to change any template files at all. I just changed it again to some other color to make sure it was an on the fly change and it is. Only thing I can think of is you may have the cache set to some time in the future. Mine is set to no cache but thats only a guess.

Lets just make sure you changed it in the right place. From the admin page if you click on Blocks/List all blocks and then click edit on the Recent News block in question toward the bottom of the block edit screen you see "Color of the summary line (this is the line just below the tab's name)"
If that is blank it uses the default color and if it has a HEX color in there it will use that. Mine is #DDDDDD and on my page it shows up as Gray.

Not sure what else could be the problem.

Regards,
JP
Americans for Fair Taxationhttp://www.fairtax.org

nikki
  • 2006/2/11 16:34

• nikki

• Not too shy to talk

Thanks Liger, that should help the others.

I'm afraid my problem wasn't quite the above. Mine is the 'Read more' bar, under the topic tabs. It's bright orange.
To be honest, I'd rather not have that bar there at all.
And the spotlight image doesn't show, the url shows instead - unsure what url to use. I've tried the full path as well as just images/x.gif

Liger
  • 2006/2/11 18:15

• Liger

• Just popping in

Darn, sorry that didn't help with the orange color bar. The topic images are in /modules/news/images/topics/ and you pick the image you want when you create the topic. If the image isn't already there then put what images you want there. You can upload images as well from the topic manager. Just make sure that directory is writable.

Do you have a link to your website that we can look at or is it a private site?

Regards,
JP

nikki
  • 2006/2/11 19:55

• nikki

• Not too shy to talk

Hi Liger,

Any ideas on how to change the color on that Read More bar?

Topic images - I can add no problem. There's a drop down menu to choose which I want when I create the Topic. But for spotlight news item, this is inside the Recent News Block. There's a text field to insert the url (I'm assuming). There is an image manager button but this has never worked for me. I thought the url should do it, but it just show the url.

Thnx for the offer to look at my site, but the News module is only available to Members, so you wouldn't see it anyway. :)

Liger
  • 2006/2/12 0:07

• Liger

• Just popping in

Try editing the block html file for the news module. Look in /modules/news/templates/blocks/news_block_top.html Find the color #FF6600 and change it. Should be on line 914. You may have to dump the template_c file that was created by XOOPS as well.

Edit: After you edit this template file you need to do one more thing. goto Admin > Modules > Administration > News and click on the Update icon for the news module.

Regards,
JP

nikki
  • 2006/2/13 19:39

• nikki

• Not too shy to talk

Thanks for your help Liger.

It didn't work but I don't want to bug you any more. Thanks for sticking around and trying to help. :)

Login

Who's Online

153 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 153

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits