Powermacgirl
Getting my html code onto my new xoops site. How?

Hi guys

Yesterday I installed XOOPS for the first time and have been playing around with the theme to make it look right.

This morning I tried to add the html code from my previous site for the home page, and then tried some more. "This isn't right" I told myself. Maybe I need a module. I added cjaycontent 3, but tht doesn't make sense, and then tried 'Edito' but that not what I need.

Can anyone advise how to simply do the following:

Add the html from my previous (no cms) site into XOOPS to create some static pages with a link to the page on the main menu. No submenu tree needed, no comments, more like a simple homepage.

Before trying Xoops, I installed Website Baker but it wasn't to my liking with such basic themes. But with THAT I could 'out of the box' paste in my html and add a simple link to the main menu.

I love the look of XOOPS .... please help

Thanks in advance

tedsmith
Re: Getting my html code onto my new xoops site. How?
  • 2005/8/25 12:21

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

In the System Admin --> Block, create a block, called homepage for example. Choose to have it shown on the Top Page and in the central centre (so that it is in the middle as opposed to divided down the central column of your theme).

Copy your html into the large text area. Ensure you tick the 'Enable html' tick box. Click save. It should then appear in your central column when you click on home.

The use of blocks is quite tricky to get used to at first, but as Dave_L once said to me it's "very liberating once you get used to it".

Ted

Powermacgirl

Hi Ted,

Yes, that has worked a treat and looks great.

How about adding a new link in the main menu to point to new html which will appear in the centre? So just like clicking the home to have the homepage appear, I need a eg, "link 2" to have html centre block 2.

Yes, blocks are confusing at first, but I can see why it makes XOOPS such a great cms.

Thanks again for your help.

tedsmith
  • 2005/8/25 13:14

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

I can't remeber off hand, but there is a way to do described in the FAQ ('adding links to main menu', or something).

Alternaively, install WF-Channell from www.wf-projects.com which allows you to create many seperate pages all with sub-links in the main menu like this :

My HTML Pages

--> Link 1
----> SubLink 2
--> Link3
----SubLink4

Or download WF-Section (from the same place) and create seperate pages (or documents as they are referred to with that module).

Have fun!

Powermacgirl

Thanks again Ted.

I've tried Wf-channel and it's far too much for my needs.

The manual way is the best way for me. I have added the line

<a class="menuMain" href="<{$xoops_url}>/">yourtext</a>

to the /modules/system/templates/blocks/system_block_mainmenu.htm

This is great .... but how do I create the html page in XOOPS for it to point to. I know I will have to add the link url to the above code, but to what page?

I can't understand why XOOPS by default doesn't make (what I think) an easy way to do what would be necessary for every XOOPS user's site.

This is so confusing

Lance_
  • 2005/8/25 15:44

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

TinyD from GIJOE's PEAK site will do what you want.
GDL-Web.com :: Website development.
Xoopslance.com::Freelancing and Projects
thelionsden-arena.net:: Clan/League/Ladder Hosting

barryc
  • 2005/8/25 15:52

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/3/20

Personally, if you are using XOOPS 2.2, I would recommend the module Content. It allows you to add html content, with links appearing in a Main Menu, which can also be ordered as you wish. What I have done, in a new site that I am building, is to hide the System Main Menu and replace it with the one from Content (renamed Main Menu).

This gives you great flexibility for adding html pages with links from the main menu.

Barry
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

Powermacgirl

Barry, I am using 2.0.xx. for the wider choice of modules, so I can't use that method. I think you are onto something though. What you're saying is that XOOPS main menu isn't really capable of adding my links. It does seem that way.

I have installed SO Many modules and I am gettting sick in the teeth with it. Why are modules of around 500-800 kb needed to do something bog standard. In all honesty, I am totally amazed that XOOPS doesn't offer this as standard. I'm starting to feel that I am trying to do something that is 'unusual', and nobody else really needs.

In my mind surely admin>blocks>add new block in the centre, add my html and have the link appear in the main menu and point to it would be the norm. Maybe a module is not what I am looking for, more of a hack.

No sub menus, no wysiwyg editor (xoops default html text area is fine), no advanced config, just post a page with a link added.

Thanks for all the different help from different users, but can some please help me to achieve this SIMPLE task.

PS. I am new CMS, but have been using Dreamweaver for many years.

macman
  • 2005/8/25 17:30

• macman

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/8/25

I too have just started with XOOPS. This link was useful as it gives insight into how the modules/blocks concept works:

https://xoops.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=280

Also follow this link to good information:

http://www.macambridge.com/dummies/

If you can live with the 'blocks in only 5 positions' limitations of this CMS then XOOPS is very powerful. If you can code in HTML then you can create a good looking final site.

Using 2.2.2 I have found that a combination of custom HTML blocks (for menus), custom HTML modules and the WF-Channel module is a good combination for page content. For instance you can call a WF-Channel 'page' from a link in a custom HTML menu block etc.

Have Fun

Powermacgirl

Suppose I make the main menu invisible and display the TinyD menu instead. Can I also add anything (contact us, Image Gallery, etc) to the TinyD menu? I am looking for just 1 single menu down the left side.

Login

Who's Online

164 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 164

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits