Mithrandir
Blocks administration module for 2.2

Not meant to compete with GIJOE's blocksadmin module, I have released a module for managing blocks in XOOPS 2.2 or higher.

The main asset in this module is that you can assign block editing permissions to individual groups and let e.g. your news moderators only edit the news blocks and not every other block - and not create new ones.

Hope this is usable to others as it will be a great help to us at my work.
"When you can flatten entire cities at a whim, a tendency towards quiet reflection and seeing-things-from-the-other-fellow's-point-of-view is seldom necessary."

Cusix Software

LazyBadger
Re: Blocks administration module for 2.2

Can you give some additional hints - which additonal rights must be delegated to group, which will give some permissions for handling block instances?
And which exactly permissions I'll delegate - only edit settings or... also change placement, delete instance?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Webmaster of
XOOPS2.RU
XOOPS Modules Proving Ground
XOOPS Themes Exhibition

Mithrandir

Basically it gives the interface from the blocks administration in 2.2 (with an added filter-by-block's-module drop-down) and the ability to - when adding or editing a block - assign permissions to usergroups, who would be allowed to edit this block. These groups would have to be module administrators of this module (but NOT have blocks admin permissions in the System privileges - those are "superadmins" of this module, with the ability to assign permissions)

A user, who is module admin of this module, but not System blocks admin, will only see the blocks that he/she can edit.

I just spotted that the "delete" link is still present for those users - but they'll get an error message about no permissions, if they try to
- Add a block
- Delete a block
- Edit a block that they have not permissions to edit

I was thinking about also removing some privileges in regards to placement and visibility, but decided against it as the main purpose was simply to only allow editing of certain blocks, and it would be too rigid and inflexible, if I also restricted other elements.

It could be a task for the future, though
"When you can flatten entire cities at a whim, a tendency towards quiet reflection and seeing-things-from-the-other-fellow's-point-of-view is seldom necessary."

Cusix Software

LazyBadger

Quote:

I was thinking about also removing some privileges in regards to placement and visibility, but decided against it as the main purpose was simply to only allow editing of certain blocks, and it would be too rigid and inflexible, if I also restricted other elements.

It could be a task for the future, though

Can't agree with current decision - because changing placement can broke page (it's webmaster area - how he see it's site)... Glad to see possibiliries for re-thinking from your side...

And one note - if GIJOE will create his blocksadmin for X2.2, his module will fight with your for same foldername... Can be something changed in it?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Webmaster of
XOOPS2.RU
XOOPS Modules Proving Ground
XOOPS Themes Exhibition

Mithrandir

Quote:
changing placement can broke page (it's webmaster area - how he see it's site)

Couldn't agree more - but for the purposes I need it, I'm afraid I'm working with some very "hands-on" editors, who want to at least be able to do a lot of stuff (half of it is something I'd say shouldn't be handled there - but they are part of management, I am not )

The foldername? Oh, right. I just based this on the code I sent to GIJOE some time ago, suggesting that he made a module for managing blocks instead of having some code inserted in individual modules.

I guess it could be changed with only a couple of changes. One should consider, though, if anyone will ever use both this and GIJOE's (and actually, I could hope that someone would take this and GIJOE's and make a COMPLETE module that would serve all needs... )

Cusix Software

Login

Who's Online

229 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 229

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits