albert56
What is non commercial use?
  • 2005/8/3 21:30

• albert56

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/8/3 1

Can someone clarify what the statement "You may not use this work for commercial purposes" means in the XOOPS and GPL context?

This statement is found under the "some rights reserved" banner in the right hand corner of this site.

I thought that offering a service to install a CMS like XOOPS was allowed, but selling the software is not.
Likewise, I could also interpret the statement to mean "I cannot use XOOPS for a commericial site".

Is there anyone that can shed light on this?

Albert

LazyBadger
Re: What is non commercial use?

1-st: "...You may not use this work for commercial purposes..." can't be used "in GPL context". I don't want start again long battle, thus, in short: "Free software doesn't mean always 'free of fee', only 'free as freedom'"

2-nd: Noted you statement is extraction from Creative Common Licence, under which licenced content of this site (except separately and specially mentioned parts) - text, image objects. NC-SA ("non-commercial share-alike") CC-licence allow free using licenced under which licence materials, if
- it used in non-profits areas
- credits and copyrigths of original author are untouched in used data and derivative work.

Creative Common Licence cover only site and haven't any relation to XOOPS, which licenced under GPL (and commercial usage of GPLed products aren't prohibited)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Webmaster of
XOOPS2.RU
XOOPS Modules Proving Ground
XOOPS Themes Exhibition

Peekay
  • 2005/8/4 0:02

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

The Creative Commons license doesn't apply to Xoops. Ignore it. You can use XOOPS for anything you like as long as you abide by the GPL licence, which does not prohibit commercial use.

Myself and several other people have asked why the Creative Commons link is even shown on this site. It is highly misleading to new users who may be looking for licencing issues regarding Xoops.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

LazyBadger

Creative Common condition applied to site content - it's a different and separate matter.
Docs and other info can't be silently stolen and reproduced without mentioning original authors, nobody have rights to sell (for example) UserGuide|AdminGuide, even converted into some new format
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Webmaster of
XOOPS2.RU
XOOPS Modules Proving Ground
XOOPS Themes Exhibition

albert56
  • 2005/8/4 6:03

• albert56

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/8/3 1

Thanks for the responses.

Cheeze
  • 2005/8/4 8:08

• Cheeze

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/16

Shouldn't the Creative Commons License be placed somewhere else less obvious or the GPL placed alongside it? If I'm a new user, my first impression would be that this software is CC and that my turn me off this site since I won't be able to use it for commercial purposes.

Login

Who's Online

237 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 237

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits