damien245
Modules and Xoops 2.2
  • 2005/7/27 22:10

• damien245

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/7/27

I'm just starting to develop a site using XOOPS and it would seem logical to me to use 2.2 for this. Now obviously I know it is RC2 atm and not released as "stable", but my understanding is that it won't be long now before 2.2 is released properly?

My problem is that there doesn't seem to be many modules that actually work with RC2 (therefore probably likewise for the final 2.2) and as I am quite new to XOOPS I haven't got a particularly strong grasp of how module development goes (i.e. how active the module developers tend to be, and how long it may take for there to be a good selection on compatible modules for 2.2).

In general, there doesn't seem to be that many good modules available for XOOPS actually - are there other resource sites that have additional modules besides the ones on here?

In particular, I need modules for the following roles:
Article System - users can submit, but webmaster publishes. Desirable for users to be able to rate articles
Review System - similar to article system really, but idea would be for reviewer to rate the product/service they are reviewing, and perhaps have the review rated by users

Other desirable, but 'optional' modules would include:
Games - not interested in flash stuff, but simple or (multiplayer) turn based games may be good.
Polls - just something to hold a quick and easy poll on the homepage, perhaps allowing users to see results of past polls; ideally would prevent multiple votes from same user, and enforce "login to vote".

I think that's the bulk of what I'm looking for.

I suppose my main question is do you think I would be best using 2.0.x for a few months or would it be best to wait until 2.2 has enough decent modules to use? I can hold off development a short while longer, but the site has already been on hold for a long time as I keep shifting CMS when I realise it doesn't offer what I need; I tried e107 for a while...

I'd be very grateful for any advice anyone can give on any of the above - thanks!

JamesSAEP
Re: Modules and Xoops 2.2
  • 2005/7/27 22:23

• JamesSAEP

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/28

Quote:

Now obviously I know it is RC2 atm and not released as "stable", but my understanding is that it won't be long now before 2.2 is released properly?

Read the front page of this site...

Quote:

My problem is that there doesn't seem to be many modules that actually work with RC2 (therefore probably likewise for the final 2.2)...

Mith wrote a brief list
Quote:

News 1.3.11 - Works
CBB for XOOPS 2.2 - Works
Liaise - Works after very minor changes
MultiMenu - Works
SmartPartner - Works after a couple of PHP5 fixes
SmartFaq - Works after a couple of minor changes
SmartSection - Works after minor changes, equally XOOPS 2.2 and PHP5-related
SmartClient - Works after a couple of PHP5 fixes
Content - Works
EvenNews - Works, but requires PM module installed
WF-Sections - Quite a number of changes required to be PHP5 compatible. Minor changes to compatibility with XOOPS 2.2
WF-Downloads - Works after minor changes
XoopsPoll - Works
xDonations - Not tested yet
Kshop - Works
PiCal - Works, very minor changes applied to input form
MyAlbum-P - Works
Popnupblog - Works

Quote:

In general, there doesn't seem to be that many good modules available for XOOPS actually - are there other resource sites that have additional modules besides the ones on here?

Search around. There are several good ones. Read the forums, post questions, requests. Something will most likely work for you.

Quote:

In particular, I need modules for the following roles:
Article System - users can submit, but webmaster publishes. Desirable for users to be able to rate articles
Review System - similar to article system really, but idea would be for reviewer to rate the product/service they are reviewing, and perhaps have the review rated by users

Articles - AMS, News, Articles will all do what you want.
Review System - myreviews

Quote:

Other desirable, but 'optional' modules would include:
Games - not interested in flash stuff, but simple or (multiplayer) turn based games may be good.
Polls - just something to hold a quick and easy poll on the homepage, perhaps allowing users to see results of past polls; ideally would prevent multiple votes from same user, and enforce "login to vote".

Polls - xoopspools and others.

I'd suggest spending time in the Modules Repository and look at the categories. Also, search the forums, there is a testing site by one of the members that has the modules installed and you can see them from the user and admin sides.

Good luck

Gambero[removed]

Xoops 2.2 Final is allready released! Check the news ...

About the modules ... I tested the module Articles with XOOPS 2.2 and it works cool.

Polls module work also ... and you shouldn't have problems with games module.

I didn't test myReview module ... but I think it should work. Try it ...

Happy Xoopsing!

[EDIT] The post of Jamescne was posed while I was writing mine.

damien245
  • 2005/7/27 22:48

• damien245

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/7/27

Yes... I'm not sure how I missed the 2.2 release as obviously it was already out when I started this thread!

Anyway, if anyone happens to know of any other good XOOPS resource sites I'd be very grateful if you could post them?

I'll have a search of the forums etc. and see what else I could find though as suggested!

Thanks for your replies so far everyone :)

JamesSAEP
  • 2005/7/27 22:51

• JamesSAEP

• Just can't stay away

There are several GREAT resources out there. The best thing is just post and browse the forums. Depending on what you need, someone will point you in the right direction. The support in this community is awesome.

Firetroll
  • 2005/7/27 23:37

• Firetroll

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/7/8 1

I'd love someone who is running a working 2.2 site to post a link. Preferably with the "working" modules populated with data so I can see if these are bugs I'm encountering or not.

For instance, with News 1.3.11 all new posts are by "Anonymous" regardless of whether or not you specify a user. By and large I'm happy the stuff that matters is working, but little annoyances like these keep creeping in :(

JamesSAEP
  • 2005/7/28 0:34

• JamesSAEP

• Just can't stay away

I've just statted a new site with 2.2 and news 1.3.11 working fine.

http://www.ultimate-sacrifice.com

JamesSAEP
  • 2005/7/28 4:18

• JamesSAEP

• Just can't stay away

Quote:

Firetroll wrote:
I'd love someone who is running a working 2.2 site to post a link. Preferably with the "working" modules populated with data so I can see if these are bugs I'm encountering or not.

For instance, with News 1.3.11 all new posts are by "Anonymous" regardless of whether or not you specify a user. By and large I'm happy the stuff that matters is working, but little annoyances like these keep creeping in :(

I have to retract my previous post. I just realized that the reason my articles were showing correctly is because I did a huge sql upload via phpmyadmin...

I went back and tested this by adding a new article via Submit News and I have the same problem of Anonymous being the author... Definately a bug.

annie
  • 2005/8/3 8:14

• annie

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/7/29

Two weeks ago I didn't even know what a CMS was ... since then I have merged four of my sites into one with XOOPS.

The modules installed and working without problems are ...

AMEvents = Events calendar module
Booklists = book recommendations module
newbb = bulletin board module
AMS = Articles module

We are currently working on getting MX-directory working.

If I can achieve this in two weeks with no previous knowledge of a CMS system I'm positive everyone else can.

Wish list - A chat module with more than one room and that will open in its own page (ie. not as a block in one of the columns)

Site is :http://www.worldwidemediums.com/index.php

Rickb
  • 2005/8/3 22:48

• Rickb

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/10/24

Chat scripts in PHP suck tremendously. That hog up the MySQL servers cause they are always (5 seconds usually) pinging the server. If I were a hosting company, I would not allow php chat scripts to run on my servers.

The best is to have a java script do this - I have not seen one.

Rick

Login

Who's Online

160 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 160

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits