LSUfan
Whats the deal with the weird BOLD/Italics/Underline function?
  • 2005/7/18 2:14

• LSUfan

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/7/16

Who thought up this akward approach and WHY?

Is there any way to change it so that people can highlight some text and then hit the BOLD button rather than typing it into the ADD box?

JMorris
Re: Whats the deal with the weird BOLD/Italics/Underline function?
  • 2005/7/18 4:53

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

You may want to look into Kovi Editor or HTML Area. They use an interface that is more like Microsoft Word.

BTW... Most PHP based portals use the BOLD/Italics/Underline functions you speak of. Reason being, it works on all platforms with all browsers. The WYSIWYG editors mentioned above do not.

Hope this helps.

JMorris
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

Peekay
  • 2005/7/18 9:49

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

It beats me why someone hasn't created a user-friendly plain text editor by now. I use vBulletin, IPB and phpBB and as JMorris point out, they are all very similar. I have never found one yet that will insert a smily or a link at the cursor position, or allow you to highlight text and embolden it.

If you want to try the Koivi WYSIWYG editor, I believe you can configure it to display a 'reduced' button-set menubar to deliberately limit the formatting options.

I haven't tried it, but there are some details in this thread.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

davidl2
  • 2005/7/18 10:05

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

The problem is down to the better ones being commercial - or not wanting to work in either IE or Firefox... the best one needs to be free to use and to work in all browsers.

I've adapted to use the XOOPS one...

LSUfan
  • 2005/7/18 19:15

• LSUfan

• Just popping in

I have NO CLUE what you turkeys are ramblinb on about. All I want to know is there a way to highlight text and then click the BOLD icon to make it bold INSTEAD of having to type in each word that I want to be bold or italic or underline

someone reply in ENGLISH!

phppp
  • 2005/7/18 19:27

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Quote:

LSUfan wrote:

Is there any way to change it so that people can highlight some text and then hit the BOLD button rather than typing it into the ADD box?

The simplest way: use XOOPS 2.2

LSUfan
  • 2005/7/18 19:32

• LSUfan

• Just popping in

Quote:

phppp wrote:
Quote:

LSUfan wrote:

thanks, now my 2nd question

is there a way to make it so that when you quote a message that it ONLY quotes the last message in a thread or maybe just a specific message you pick INSTEAD of having a box inside a box and inside a box and inside another box of quotes?

that makes it pretty hard to read when you have a forum of 300+ people and on certain threads when lots of people are quoting, in other words, it clogs up the page with mulitple quote boxes

phppp
  • 2005/7/18 19:37

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Quote:

LSUfan wrote:
Quote:

phppp wrote:
Quote:

LSUfan wrote:

thanks, now my 2nd question

is there a way to make it so that when you quote a message that it ONLY quotes the last message in a thread or maybe just a specific message you pick INSTEAD of having a box inside a box and inside a box and inside another box of quotes?

Yes, the simplest and the only way at this moment is to remove those quoted message (wrapped by [quote ]..[/ quote]) manually

JMorris
  • 2005/7/18 20:57

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

LSUFan,

The FAQ Section of this site covers the most common questions regarding XOOPS usage, and even many advanced questions... including the two questions you've asked in this thread.

To get the most out of XOOPS, you will need to do some reading and learning. There is terminology used here that may seem unfamiliar. Terms like WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor are common among most support sites. If you're not sure what a term means, try looking it up on the following site or try Googleing it:

http://www.matisse.net/files/glossary.html

Best Regards,

JMorris
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

DonXoop

Coming from an OS and browser that usually isn't supported for all those WYSIWYG features I've learned to do it much faster when I need to the old fashioned way. Instead of using the click me menus and whatnot you can simply type the required tags and be done with it.

So if I want to quote a line I can copy the text, type the [ quote] tag, paste it in and close the tag. easy as this: Quote:
I have NO CLUE what you turkeys are ramblinb on about
and of course you can type a simple [ b] tag and get bold. look ma, no mouse no click.

easy as pie.
no max no bling. goes double for mik. triple for the insane aliases of said lunatics
===========================
Not around here anymore. Way too many idiots, so sad.

Login

Who's Online

182 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 182

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits