Peekay
A better Xoops editor?
  • 2005/4/4 14:13

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

In a future version of Xoops, do you think the XOOPS editor could be enhanced a little so that authors can highlight text and make it larger, bold, italic or coloured just by pressing a button? Like a WYSIWYG editor - but without the HTML.

Don't know how difficult that would be, but if it could be fixed so that inserted links, images, smilies etc. actually appear at the cursor position, the need for a fully blown WYSIWYG editor would be unnecessary in most modules, except where tables etc. are needed.

suico
Re: A better Xoops editor?
  • 2005/4/4 15:08

• suico

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/7/24

You can look for koivi htmlarea and others wysiwyg here:

http://dev.xoops.org/modules/xfmod/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1155&release_id=240

banned
  • 2005/4/5 1:11

• banned

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/5/16

Quote:

Peekay wrote:
In a future version of Xoops, do you think the XOOPS editor could be enhanced a little so that authors can highlight text and make it larger, bold, italic or coloured just by pressing a button? Like a WYSIWYG editor - but without the HTML.

Don't know how difficult that would be, but if it could be fixed so that inserted links, images, smilies etc. actually appear at the cursor position, the need for a fully blown WYSIWYG editor would be unnecessary in most modules, except where tables etc. are needed.

Methink that an option is needed for a feat like this.. -> a per module option will be better

brash
  • 2005/4/5 1:39

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

There will be better editor support as of XOOPS 2.2, but I don't know what (if any) work is being done on the default XOOPS editor itself.

Peekay
  • 2005/4/5 3:48

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Thx for the feedback guys. It's just that in my experience, most of the Xoopscode functions are fine for putting together an article, a forum post or a news item. Unless you are building a complex HTML page, most people don't really need SPAW or Koivi, or anything half as complex.

What they do need however (IMHO) is to be able to highlight text and make it bold - not select 'Bold', then type the text into a tiny box, then insert it, then cut and paste it into the position they wanted it to be in the first place.

The more HTML freedom you give users the bigger the risks are. I think a makeover of the XOOPS editor would provide enough formatting control for users to emphasise their compositions, without letting them run riot.

brash
  • 2005/4/5 4:00

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

I agree Peekay, a bit of polishing of the default XOOPS editor would go a long way. I think HTML editors should be used with caution as they do present security risks, especially if you have you news module set to auto-approve articles with a HTML editor set as the default.

Kainaij
  • 2005/4/5 7:36

• Kainaij

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/5

I agree as well. My users really have no need to insert tables, complex images, or HTML. They could benefit from a basic, solid, text editior that converts text on the fly. Rather than going through the arduous process peekay spoke about above.

siweb
  • 2005/4/5 10:30

• siweb

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/5/2 1

XKeditor (koivi) is as complex as you want to make it. It is very flexible and you can customize it to your needs. Read the doc's.

One example, how easy it is - News 1.3. Change line 183 in /include/functions.php from
$editor = new XoopsFormWysiwygTextArea($caption$name$value$width$height'');
to
$editor = new XoopsFormWysiwygTextArea($caption$name$value$width$height'[b]small[/b]');

daibt
  • 2005/4/5 11:23

• daibt

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/3/26

Can we use it for Newbb?

siweb
  • 2005/4/5 12:52

• siweb

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/5/2 1

If you're talking about Newbb 2, yes. Same file /include/functions.php, line 1110 and same change as above.

Login

Who's Online

263 user(s) are online (190 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 263

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits