skyrider
Integrating Glossword with Xoops.
  • 2005/6/27 12:05

• skyrider

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/8 1

It would be a major step forward for dictionary/glossary users if the premier OSS s/w prog, Glossword could be wrapped within XOOPS - preferably as a module.

I contacted the developer (Dmitry Shilnikov) to see if there was a way of integrating the two programmes in some way.

I quote his response below:

Quote:
The problem with XOOPS is that it is so poor that it does not work on my local machine with php 5.0.3 (in comparation to invision board, or mambo, for example) and XOOPS does not suport UTF-8 (as like others).
:(

I tried to install XOOPS 2.0.10 and Xoops-2.1.1, but they are both unusable. 2.1.1 even did not installed correctly. At least, on my computer.

As soos as XOOPS will support php 5 and UTF-8, as Glossword, I could return to the integration questions.

As you can tell, he wasn't very impressed with the current incarnation of XOOPS :) But I was under the impression that XOOPS *did* support PHP-5 *and* could be configured to use UTF-8. Have I misunderstood something or has Dmitry some other problem?
Australian Opinion... where comment counts!
http://www.australianopinion.com

bluenova
Re: Integrating Glossword with Xoops.

AFAIK:

PHP5 = No
UTF-8 = Yes

I don't know about XOOPS 2.2 (2.1.1), but XOOPS 4 will support php5

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

skyrider
  • 2005/6/27 12:42

• skyrider

• Just popping in

Quote:

bluenova wrote:
AFAIK:

PHP5 = No
UTF-8 = Yes

I don't know about XOOPS 2.2 (2.1.1), but XOOPS 4 will support php5

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

To which I respond... oh bugger

As an intermediate step, I've been looking for something that will 'wrap' a php program (like we can do with html) but it looks as if that's just impossible.

I'll just have to wait til XOOPS 4... !

gediminasbyt

I'm running successfully on PHP5. I know there is no advanced PHP5 support, but a couple of sites do work fine with PHP5 or at least I do not notice any side effects.

skyrider
  • 2005/6/27 22:05

• skyrider

• Just popping in

Quote:

gediminasbyt wrote:
I'm running successfully on PHP5. I know there is no advanced PHP5 support, but a couple of sites do work fine with PHP5 or at least I do not notice any side effects.

I have XOOPS running on two sites under php5 as well... no issues... and Glossword is running on one of them. The problem is that Glossword *uses* php5 rather than just running under it like XOOPS so there is fundamental incompatibility pro tem.

It really would be good to get Glossword as a 'module' but I cant see it happening in the near future... XOOPS 4 looks like it'll be the earliest chance we get and by then it's almost certain Glossword will have been able to integrate fully with Mambo for some time.

rowdie
  • 2005/6/27 22:52

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/7/21

XOOPS supports php 5 since version XOOPS 2.0.10, could even have been since 2.0.9 - not quite sure anymore. Not all modules support it yet though.

And you certainly can use UTF-8 with XOOPS - I have no idea why he would think otherwise.

I tried to have a look at Glossword...
- the files at SourceForge are only available in formats that required me to install a new archiver and after installing that I still had to decompress the .rar file it presented me with... a lot of bother just to look at some files

The fact that it uses PHP 5 shouldn't stop anyone from making a module from it - any current version of XOOPS could handle it. It may limit the amount of Xoopsters that can use it now, but the hosting companies will catch up soon enough.

davidl2
  • 2005/6/27 23:20

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Quote:

rowdie wrote:
And you certainly can use UTF-8 with XOOPS - I have no idea why he would think otherwise.

CBB site is set for UTF-8 as well.

Login

Who's Online

83 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 83

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits