javier
What´s the future of xoops & discussion board modules?
  • 2005/6/7 0:35

• javier

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/8/6 1

Hi,
Since the development of newbb has finished and CBB has born,
I asked me what is the future of XOOPS & discussion forums?

Newbb always was THE OFICIAL XOOPS FORUM, but now not exist a official forum,
Only exist some forum projects but nothing more.

Newbb2 is still used in this site as official forum, but what next?
Xoops.org will follow using newbb2, CBB or what?

Sorry for say this, but im sincerely very tired of have to change forums all the weeks,

When i put online my latest site i used koudanshi x-phpbb as forum, it was great because i love phpbb, but one day koudanshi stoped the updates to the module and thousand of user keep prisioners of a not update XOOPS site (because xphpbb touch core files and that not allow you to keep your XOOPS version up to date)
In these moment i asked in all the places about how to make phpbb a module,
i started modify the original phpbb files to use the XOOPS users tables,etc and alot of things more but nobody help me with my questions about the "convert to module part"

Them with a hackers paradise XOOPS site i had to search a solution to protect my site,
I converted my xphpbb to phpbb to newbb1 to newbb2,
Not without have problems in the db now.

Now im a unhappy owner of a XOOPS site with a newbb2 forum (i installed newbb2 because i thought it was the new official forum)
the reply notifications not work fine, you can´t see the users ip,
you can`t identify if a user have 2 o more accounts using the same ip and alot of things more you can´t do.

Now i thinking to have a phpbb or vbulletin standalone, because newbb2 has alot of errors and after install CBB the notifications replys not work too and nobody help me with that in all the topics i posted in xoops.org.

NewBB is gone, Xphpbb is gone, other forum projects gone, when the XOOPS users will have a serious forum project?

CBB seems to be serious, but would happen the same thing as xphpbb or others?
One day Plufff(disapear)
the project end and the XOOPS users again without a decent forum module.

Sincerely i would like to see a serious phpbb or any well know free or pay forum projects.

Please not confuse my words, i know my english is terrible and dued to that many times i can´t explain my ideas fine.
I know the CBB ,newbb and others guys works really hard in all the projects and i say thanks for that and keep up the good work,
I only think the XOOPS users have not diferent options, its newbb or CBB (almost the same thing)

best regards
Javier

phppp
Re: What´s the future of xoops & discussion board modules?
  • 2005/6/7 0:45

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

take it easy.

There was once only one official board module: newbb1

NewBB 2 is/was not an official module, no more official modules in the future.

phppp
  • 2005/6/7 0:52

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Quote:

javier wrote:

Sincerely i would like to see ... or pay forum projects.

best regards
Javier

Hey, I have said several times I would like to accept paid projects, but no one gives me a try.
What a pity

m0nty
  • 2005/6/7 3:19

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

there will soon be a smf forum module too ;)

there's x-ipb too which is supported pretty well.

phpbb isn't a forum i've used but i did update the core files last time to 2.0.9.2 but never had the time or inclination after because, it's time consuming and would have meant havin to setup another db and XOOPS site just to install phpbb on to test if the core files worked or not. everybody who uses x-phpbb seems to rely on and expect koudanshi to do almost everything with it. x-ipb has a lot more people willing to help out which is why it gets better support and updates quicker.. just an opinion.

you maybe unhappy at the moment, but things sometimes move slow and then there are times when everything moves faster.. there will be more choices in time that's inevitable i think..

Login

Who's Online

176 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 176

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits