Shine
Wonderfull Xoops Memberinformation and registration hack example
  • 2005/5/24 7:10

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/7/22

Somebody at the german XOOPS support attended others at this website, where a wonderfull extended registrationform and membership search and overview is in use. As far as I can see there is also a automatic exceeding of memberships.
I haven't contacted the webmaster yet, but wanted to point you all out on this, because I really was amazed by it.
I think lots of XOOPS users are looking for this kind of registration and membership possibilities.

http://www.newworknetwork.org.uk/register.php

http://www.newworknetwork.org.uk/modules/xoopsmembers/

Grtz., Shine

gtop00
Re: Wonderfull Xoops Memberinformation and registration hack example
  • 2005/5/24 8:06

• gtop00

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/13

Hi Shine,

This is excellent! It is exactly what I was looking for long time!
Thanks a lot.

Are you going to contact the webmaster? It is not polite to be bothered from all of us.

Until XOOPS V2.2 with Dynamic User Profiles is ready and stable enough for production sites, we can try it.

George

Shine
  • 2005/5/24 8:51

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

Yes, just did by filled in the contact formular on the website. Let's wait and see if the webmaster will respond. I'll let you know.

Grtz., Shine

kingpig
  • 2005/5/24 19:29

• kingpig

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/16

Hello

Thanks for your kind comments.

Because we have been so busy there has not been time to tell people about the work we have been doing and release information about it.

Mr. Loop and I have been working for over a year now on the newworknetwork (nwn) site and a lot has been done on the membership/registration process. Some of the features include:

+ connection to paypal to validate registration.
+ back-end membership management to manually process subscription. (nwn is a not for profit artist-led organisation but does have a £10 per year subscription fee).
+ an equal opportunities form to monitor the ethnicity, gender etc of our members.
+ extended view permissions for sensitive member details e.g. some users like to keep their home address private while others don't mind other members seeing it.
+ a REALLY long disclaimer
+ the use of our 'check box group' classes. e.g. artform interest (theatre, music, installation etc.), region (scotland, wales, london etc.). These are necessary as the check box groups are used in other new modules and are stored as many - to - many relations in the database. i.e. we maintain one list of artforms and store relations between each and other entities in link tables. This has lead to a database of hundreds of tables, but is very maintainable. see how it works in the module searches.

Mr Loop has also been developing a huge new module called membergroups which has enabled us to have profiles for groups of individual members e.g. a profile for a theatre company. membergroups directly from the user class and extend it dramatically. they are useful as now a member may 'switch' to their membergroup's profile to create content on the group's behalf.

a membergroup still has a user profile, uses the XoopsUser object and therefore behaves like a normal XoopsUser but an unlimited amount of other users may be associated with it. e.g. theatre company x has its own profile and is it's own XoopsUser but may also be linked to the profiles of it's employees.

i am probably not making this very clear. if you go to the site look at the company, venue, network and organisation profiles you can see this in action. (it should be noted that a lot of our users haven't figured out how to use this yet, so there are not many examples yet - but it has great potential)

we have also made quite a lot of new modules which we also want to share soon.

please ask more questions and we will try to find a way to release the code hacks soon. (how should we do this? we haven't done it before)

Thanks again and thanks to all the other community members that have helped us along the way.

best wishes

robert aka KingPig

m0nty
  • 2005/5/24 20:17

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

that looks quite excellent actually robert.

how do you manage the company/network registrations? as the company profiles lnik to userinfo.php, does your system actually create a new username for those? in essence adding to the members count?

with regard to releasing the hacks/modules, a news article in the news modules topics is where you could announce it with a description of it and a link to the download itself.. also submit it to the module repository here on xoops. if you require more info, feel free to ask..

gtop00
  • 2005/5/24 23:55

• gtop00

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/13

Quote:

kingpig wrote:
we have also made quite a lot of new modules which we also want to share soon.

please ask more questions and we will try to find a way to release the code hacks soon. (how should we do this? we haven't done it before)

Thanks again and thanks to all the other community members that have helped us along the way.

best wishes

robert aka KingPig

Dear Robert and Mr. Loop,

I can't find words to thank you!

George

tl
  • 2005/5/25 1:59

• tl

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/6/23

Quote:
Mr Loop has also been developing a huge new module called membergroups which has enabled us to have profiles for groups of individual members e.g. a profile for a theatre company. membergroups directly from the user class and extend it dramatically. they are useful as now a member may 'switch' to their membergroup's profile to create content on the group's behalf.

This will make XOOPS many many times versatile. News could potentially be posted under a company profile by many users. Can't wait to try it out.

Thank you, Robert and Mr. Loop.

davidthomas1

Although Extended Profiles will be a feature of XOOPS 2.2

I'd love to try this module/hack in the meantime.

Is there anywhere to download it?

Shine
  • 2005/5/25 7:25

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

First of all,.......thank you Robert for replying at xoops.org, within this topic related to your website and membership hacks!
And last but surely not least, I want to thank you for the fact that you and Mr. Loop want to release your made hacks/modules to the XOOPS community. I am aware that developing such soffisticated modules/hacks are difficult and taking a lot of sparetime.

@ Davidthomas1:
To my opinion there is quit a difference between an extended Profile feature and the way NWN handles payd registrations in combination with extended profile and memberships and membergroups!
The last is much more advanced.

From what I've read (and understood) of it, all sounds even more interesting....wauw! I think it is a matter of installing and play, explore with it.
Leaves me up to one/two questions at this moment though.
I've seen you mention an exceeding membership date within the profile. What happens with the member (and his/hers registration) as soon as the membership ends and he/she doesn't extend his membership?
Stays his/hers name in tact, but without being able to login and being able to enter and make use of memberfeatures? (kind of inactive user status)
Second, is there a way to make use of other payment (not just paypal) possibilities?

Again, thanks for your answer(s) .... I can hardly wait to the release of your modules a.s.o.

Grtz., Shine

kingpig
  • 2005/5/25 11:13

• kingpig

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/16

thanks for the questions

Quote:

Leaves me up to one/two questions at this moment though.
I've seen you mention an exceeding membership date within the profile. What happens with the member (and his/hers registration) as soon as the membership ends and he/she doesn't extend his membership?
Stays his/hers name in tact, but without being able to login and being able to enter and make use of memberfeatures? (kind of inactive user status)
Second, is there a way to make use of other payment (not just paypal) possibilities?

here are some quick answers

1. membership has two stages: registered and subscribed. a registered user has signed up but never paid OR a lapsed subscribed user. only subscribed users can edit the site's content modules. once a member's subscription ends they are no longer allowed to edit their profile or content BUT may log in to re-pay their subscription. It is very much like the inactive user status. control of which group a member belongs to has been developed from the pre-existing XOOPS group classes - i think the same ones that control 'webmaster', 'friend of xoops', 'anonymous' etc.

2. our site only uses pay-pal at the moment and there is no quick way (gui) to change it. however as the system is based on passing messages back and forth between sites, I am sure it wouldn't take too much work for you to change it for your payment people. pay-pal does seem to be quite good though, and users do not have to create an account now to make a payment. this makes it much quicker.

i would also like to say that the membergroup module is very complicated and extends core XOOPS classes and pages. i don't know how portable it is going to be. it also has quite a complex set of inheritances. only a small amount of it is controlled through the admin section most work is done in the classes.

having said this though, we will still try and get some things out, but the whole module for membergroups will take a while.

best wishes

kingpig

Login

Who's Online

126 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 126

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits