holdemfish
my xoops website !
  • 2005/5/7 20:07

• holdemfish

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/26

Hi guys,
My website is a poker forum. This is my first XOOPS website, so any kind of criticism, comments or advice would be appreciated.
http://www.holdemfish.com

Thank You

JMorris
Re: my xoops website !
  • 2005/5/7 21:09

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Nice Job!

+ Clean colors
+ Logical Layout
+ Fast Loading

- The link at the top "Become a member of Holdemfish.com, right now!", looks unbalanced. I would recommend making the entire line white.

Overall, nice work!

holdemfish
  • 2005/5/7 21:58

• holdemfish

• Just popping in

Thanks J.
I got to thank planetxoops for the fast loading, it really made a difference switching over to them from my old host.

I agree with the link, the reason it looked like this, is because all the links on the website are of this color ( a shade of blue) as set in my css file. There's probably a way to overide my css for that single line in my theme.html file, I'll have to look into that. In the meantime, I made the "Become a member of Holdemfish.com, right now!" all white and added a register link next to it.

Once again thanks for the feedback

xpider
  • 2005/5/8 5:42

• xpider

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/5/9 2

Pretty Cool I like it =) That reminds me fishing season is open. I think I'll go fishin in the mornig =)

Bender
  • 2005/5/8 10:37

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Quote:
xpider wrote:
Pretty Cool I like it =)

lol - now i got ya. This is the kind of comment you would axe me for.
(note: this is an insider)

Ok back to the site. I must agree to what was said before and have only one thing to add:

The small font used for the news titles gets blurry in higher resolutions. (1280x1024 and up)

Gambero[removed]

It looks nice ... maybe you should change group permissions. Anonimous should read the forum etc.

holdemfish
  • 2005/5/8 17:00

• holdemfish

• Just popping in

Thanks Xpider, Bender and Gambero!

Yeah depending on the browser and the resolution, it does affect the clarity. I just changed it to make it bigger, it looks clearer now on iexplorer, netscape and opera, I'll have to check on firefox too. At the very least, I want it to be clear for the average user, I'm not sure that most people use such high resolutions, but I might be wrong.

As for the group permissions, I do plan to change it as to allow anonymous more access but as of now since the site just started there's few members and the forum is not very active, so by limiting access I'm trying to induce more registration.

again thanks for the feeback guys.

Bender
  • 2005/5/8 17:19

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Quote:

holdemfish wrote:
As for the group permissions, I do plan to change it as to allow anonymous more access but as of now since the site just started there's few members and the forum is not very active, so by limiting access I'm trying to induce more registration.

I am not sure if that works. I personally would just go away if i am not for some special reason very keen to see whats inside. Otherwise siteswhich are so closed that i can´t get a real look will just make me turn away usually.

msreality
  • 2005/5/8 17:51

• msreality

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/22

Quote:

Bender wrote:
Quote:

holdemfish wrote:

I am not sure if that works. I personally would just go away if i am not for some special reason very keen to see whats inside. Otherwise siteswhich are so closed that i can´t get a real look will just make me turn away usually.

Holdemfish - I like your site--its clean, fast loading, and a lot of content for anonymous users. As for limiting the forum access, I choose to limit access as well. I have limited access to the forums and fun stuff (crosswords, games, puzzles etc.) to registered users for two reasons
1. the forums are not that active, and since it is only me it is easier to control/monitor them.
2. I put a lot of work into the fun stuff section, and feel that by registering (its free)my work is not in vein.
At this point my site is not as content extensive as yours, and I hope that it will grow.
As for people turing away because they cant have access well, so be it, I cant do anything about peoples preferences.
Just my two cents.
Msreality
Reeniemania.com

Login

Who's Online

222 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 222

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits