brigarkee
A real "newbie" question here- Patience appreciated
  • 2005/4/23 18:01

• brigarkee

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/4/10

I'm hoping for some newbie friendly help, I mean on the true basics, but if it's dumb for me even asking this I apologize in advance.
I am building a website where I will have reviews for multiple child products available.
I am trying to find out which of the modules is the best place to do this in, where I can add images as well wrapped with my html. I was originally thinking of placing the reviews in my forum area, but I think that will make the forums very cluttered.

I again apologize if I'm wasting anyone's time here by asking this, I have never used anything close to XOOPS before, and I LOVE what I have seen so far, but I am not knowledgable at all in php or other programming, so I am going the basics and learning as I go.

If I wanted to put something on my main page for instance, (you can see what I mean by going to my website and seeing my empty main page), do I open my theme.html and add php in there, or can I just add my html after the php codes that are already there with the theme I chose?, I use dreamweaver MX.
Is this typically how people add things to their main index page for xoops?

I guess what I am saying is that I would like to stay within my same theme, obviously, for my other pages, and I'm not sure if my edits need to go through that theme.html and if I add a new page to the site, if I just use my theme.html to edit and then rename it to another page? or do I need to learn php to do all of this properly?

Again, I am not knowledgeable in this, so I am totally grateful to any help I can get in keeping my site seamless, I'll happily add new modules (this I know how to do) to be able to do what I am asking above for my product review page.

You're probably really going to throw me out for doing this all in one topic, but, (and please note, if there is a link that will answer these questions, I will gladly go there and figure it out on my own, I am just not finding this anywhere), but I am having a hard time with making my main page accessible to everyone.
I've pretty much figured out how things are viewed, such as menu on my front page to the public, but I have one question in setting access rights for groups.
If I am trying to achieve the following: Everyone able to access all pages, but cannot post unless logged on or registered, I would set group access rights to the same for all- anonymous, registered and newbie, correct?

I want for people to login if they want to post to the forums or other areas of the site, but I also DO want for them to be able to view things even if not registered or logged in.

Thank you so much for your help, and again, I apologize in advance to any who feels I am wasting their time here due to my lack of knowledge. I'm the true blue newbie around here.

Other questions I have had that I have been able to find answers to through from my searches in the forums, I have successfully been able to figure out, so again, if there is a tutorial here somewhere that would give me this information to accomplish what I am asking, I am pretty good at following instructions.

Thanks to all, and thanks for this incredible XOOPS! It has changed the way I build websites FOREVER!!!!

p.s.- I do know html, so basically, the programming end, php, etc. is where I lack, I just could use a simple guide to be able to really kick my website off.

tripmon
Re: A real "newbie" question here- Patience appreciated
  • 2005/4/23 18:29

• tripmon

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/2/28

Nice to see your zest for xoops!

While I can not answer all your question, I'll try and get you headed in the right direction.

As far as getting the items (blocks and modules) to display check HERE.

If you are looking to wrap dreamweaver pages, I suggest tinyd or freecontent (in the Module repository on this site.

In addition, you can create a custom block to hold html content.

You can also wrap your HTML pages yourself if you would like... check HERE.

Most of your questions can be answered in the FAQ. try reading what I have provided and post back with specific questions.

Good luck and welcome to XOOPS

brigarkee
Re: A real "newbie" question here- Patience appreciated
  • 2005/4/27 19:28

• brigarkee

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/4/10

Ok, tinyd is working fabulously for me right now, I think it's all visible for everyone, but I do have a question about this one... I have seen in a couple of sites submenus when you scroll over the main menu link there is a drop down of 2 or more other links under that main one.
I found something in the search option, because I had seen some text referring to submenus in tinyd preference area, is there a way in tinyd to make these branches off the main one?

For instance, I would like to have one item be toys, then under that have like 4 different subs... any help is greatly appreciated

Login

Who's Online

126 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 126

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits