orestis
News/Articles in multiple categories ?
  • 2005/3/28 10:40

• orestis

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/28

How can I do this ? All of the news/articles modules I have checked only support one category per item.

What I want to do is have items in one category, and from time to time add another category so they can be browsed from that category.

Example:

I have Outdoor activities->Outdoor games.

If the theme of the month is eg. mountains, I would like the visitors to be able to see all games related to mountains in a page. Next month the theme may be collaboration, and I want to assign new categories to the games. Some games may appear in more than one category.

Is there any way to do this ?

karedokx
Re: News/Articles in multiple categories ?
  • 2005/3/30 15:34

• karedokx

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/1 6

don't think we have the multiple categories feature in the current existing article/news modules. an article/news should belong to a single category..

tzvook
  • 2005/3/30 16:33

• tzvook

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/2/1 2

Quote:

karedokx wrote:
don't think we have the multiple categories feature in the current existing article/news modules. an article/news should belong to a single category..

Basicly your'e right, but this week after a few years using the news module I said to myself for the first time ... "I wish I could put this article also in another category" ....

Cross-category in every module is good - add a lot to the flexibility of your data flaw ... helping users to find data ...

LazyBadger

Quote:

karedokx wrote:

Except one possible solution:
ArMS (slightly buggy in admin side, but - it works as expected)

Peekay
  • 2005/4/3 14:02

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

arMs looks awsome. I just installed it and am still trying to work it out (I agree that the admin is not too intuitive!). A simpler solution that might suit you is 'Articles'. It's in downloads, but there's a later version available from the developer's site at:

http://support.sirium.net/

Their 'AM Events' diary is a nice module too.

LazyBadger

Artiles does NOT allow crossposting

Peekay
  • 2005/4/3 14:26

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

You're right LazyBadger. I only just installed it. In fact, I was about to post to say I don't think it's designed for other users to submit articles, so perhaps not so good using it for news. Good for categorised products or services though.

phppp
  • 2005/4/3 15:02

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

It is available in our article management system.

Peekay
  • 2005/4/3 18:40

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

With arMS you create categories, then under each category you can create sections and then add articles to each section, e.g.

Outdoor Activities > Outdoor Games > Mountain Games

What I think is cool is that each 'article' can be built up of pages submitted by different users. The title and author of each page is listed at the top of the article as links. So your Mountain Games article could have a page called 'Climbing' submitted by Orestis and another called 'Falling Off' submitted by Peekay (excuse my ignorance of playing properly with mountains!).

The article as a whole can be cross referenced, so it could appear in another section called 'Dangerous Sports'. You can sub-categorise even more using 'levels' too, but I haven't worked out how that works yet.

If you haven't used it before, my tips, based on today's cursing and struggling, are:

1) In main arMS admin, create categories, then sections, then select the 'levels' link and create at least one level (I just called it Level1). Select the 'moderators' link and add a section moderator too.

2) Articles are added using the arMS 'Add Article' side menu link, not the article management screen.

3) After you have added pages to it, to actually see an article, take it off 'Hold' in the edit article screen first, then select 'My Articles' from the sidebar menu and click the padlock button in the list to activate it.

I like it.

But sadly, I don't think it's supported.

Peekay
  • 2005/4/3 21:45

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

O.K. I was a bit wrong about the levels thing.

It appears that each article has to have a level and the selected level appears as a link in the article. Clicking the link reveals the level description.

This can be used for example to show the complexity of an educational article, such as beginner, intermediate, advanced etc. In that scenario, the description could explain the knowledge that will be required to understand the article fully.

Login

Who's Online

125 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 125

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits