samuels
Wysiwyg editors review
  • 2005/3/9 0:06

• samuels

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/10/30

Hi, I'm Samuels the XK_Editor(koivi) developer.
I've written a comparison between some popular wysiwyg editors:
Spaw
XK_Editor (koivi)
HtmlArea
FckEditor
TinyMce

You can download the document here:
http://www.entornoambiental.com/uploads/WYSIWYG_EDITORS_REVIEW.pdf

wtravel
Re: Wysiwyg editors review

Hi Samuels,

I use your editor in more and more of my forms and I like it very much. There is always room for improvement and I hope you will continue with the development of this tool.

Best of luck,

Martijn

brash
  • 2005/3/9 0:28

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Nice review Samuels, very informative read .

Rhomal
  • 2005/3/9 0:42

• Rhomal

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/5

Quote:

samuels wrote:
Hi, I'm Samuels the XK_Editor(koivi) developer.
I've written a comparison between some popular wysiwyg editors:
Spaw
XK_Editor (koivi)
HtmlArea
FckEditor
TinyMce

You can download the document here:
http://www.entornoambiental.com/uploads/WYSIWYG_EDITORS_REVIEW.pdf

VERY nice, thanks for the information. Keep up the great work with your editor! Its by far the best for Xoops!

Kainaij
  • 2005/3/9 5:56

• Kainaij

• Quite a regular

A very great read. It was a question that has been a long time in the asking. Your analysis has prompted me to try a few things differently with my site.

I already have your editor installed. I am now going to try Spaw as well. My target demographic is less technically inclined so my preference is to have a basic, solid, WYSIWYG editor.

Tell me, can you elaborate a bit on your findings with Spaw and Firefox? Or even separately, Mozilla, Safari, and the new Netscape? I know that it's not probable for you to know all, but I'd be interested to find out.

Once again my hat is off to you, I enjoyed the read.

Kainaij
  • 2005/3/9 5:59

• Kainaij

• Quite a regular

An official call to have this link featured more prominently on the site. I almost missed this outstanding article.

samuels
  • 2005/3/9 9:40

• samuels

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/10/30

Firefox is based on Mozilla, Netscape 8 is based on Firefox 1.0.

All of this wysiwyg editors work in Mozilla 1.4 and upper so they must run with Moz, Netscape and Firefox without problems.
Safari doesn't support the designmode.

I'll try to expand the Firefox tests, but Spaw needs some developement to work well under Gecko browsers.

Kainaij
  • 2005/3/9 15:23

• Kainaij

• Quite a regular

Where can I get the latest known links to the reviewed WYSIWYG editor downloads. I for example am looking for Spaw and can find two; the original developers site and the WF-Projects site here.

Are these the only listings for Spaw? I have read that the WF-Projects Spaw editor only works with IE and that it is somewhat dated. Is this true?

What may be important to your document is where the latest versions of the reviewed XOOPS compatible WYSIWYG editors can be found. I for one am not sure which incarnation of Spaw to try.

Peekay
  • 2005/3/9 17:43

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Quote:
(it seems the project is closed, seehttp://www.htmlarea.com)

The Hotscripts.com link for HTMLArea also redirects to htmlarea.com and the message about HTMLArea being discontinued. HTMLArea's developer website however is:

http://www.interactivetools.com/

This still mentions HTMLArea as a free script, but the script is missing from the free scripts download page. Closest thing I can find is HTMLArea Composer at:

http://www.alloysoftware.com/editor.asp

Born again HTMLArea?

I think Koivi is a great editor for XOOPS because of it's integration with the image manager. I however need an editor that works using Firefox on Mac OSX. I know HTMLArea did, but does Koivi do this?

I believe Spaw have a Gecko-based editor in beta, I don't think that is the version available at WF-Sections.

Kainaij
  • 2005/3/9 18:14

• Kainaij

• Quite a regular

My experience with Koivi has been positively mixed. The Koivi editor does show in Firefox on my page, but there are anomalies.

I had massive problems with it and tables on my newbb, but I didn't need tables anyway so I just hid the table buttons. The posted text and text background colors didn't always play well with my theme. I had a non power user try it out to publish articles in AMS and they had problems. I believe the problem stemmed more from the users’ personal lack in web instinct/experience than from Koivi tho.

With those types of experiences so far you can gauge what kind of search I am on. A search for a basic, get the job done WYSIWYG editor for my users which is cross platform compatible and shows me instantly how my post will look without having to preview. Haha, back to square one. I seemingly ask for little, but in essence my quest is for a holy grail which is elusively just out of my reach. I don't need tables, superscript, or glowing text. Just the basics.

IMO, Koivi and Spaw are my choices. FCK is too elaborate. I haven't tried HTMLarea or Tiny to comment on them. That being said, Koivi is almost there for me. Spaw, well if I can it working with my site I'd better be able to gauge how it fits my needs.

I ask this question once again, but a bit differently this time. What are the latest methods (as of March 9, 2005) and download directions for installing Spaw into Xoops? More specifically, if possible tell how does one get it working with NewBB 2.0.2 and AMS 2.41?

I apologize if this post is a bit scattered. Rather this that multiple posts.

Login

Who's Online

232 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 232

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits