elevator
Multiple websites on one database
  • 2005/3/3 6:12

• elevator

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/24

Good evening,
I have access to only one MySQL database on my server, but I would like to implement more than one XOOPS website. How would I go about doing this?

I realize there is a table prefix in the XOOPS configuration, but I want to make sure that the first initialization of XOOPS doesn't set up using the standard xoops_ prefix because that would obviously trash the vital data for my current website.

Are there any special steps involved in implementing more than one XOOPS driven website on the same SQL database and if so, can someone please outline these steps for me?

Thanks for all your help and a great product.

Elev.

LazyBadger
Re: Multiple websites on one database

When you perform install, installer asks you about table prefix and uses this prefix. You have only to do install carefully, that's all!
I have two sites installed on one base (because at some day I'll apply SubSite module for merging data) and haven't any troubles

ali44
  • 2005/3/3 7:41

• ali44

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/24

One thing I don't understand, say if you have two forums, two seperate groups of users sign up, post... they all go to one database? So the two sites virtually have the same data showing even though users can sign up, post from the two sites?
That would be quite easy to comprehend if the two sites are on one server, what if the two sites sit on different server? they can they both point to, manipulate the same database? Can I come up with like one dedicated server for the database and several servers for the websites point to that datbase server?

Mithrandir

If the database prefix is different for each XOOPS installation, they might be in the same database, but might just as well be in two different databases (from a XOOPS point of view) - content is not shared between XOOPS installations if the database prefix differs.

As long as the database server is accessible from the webserver, the database can be in Uganda and your webserver in Sweden (might give some rather long processing times, but it is possible )

elevator
  • 2005/3/3 16:58

• elevator

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/24

Thanks to everyone for their help. The reason I asked was because I wasn't sure if XOOPS does some pre-initialzation and stores some temporary data in the database BEFORE reaching the admin screen, but I realize now that's practically impossible since no host, username or password to the MySQL host is provided until you get to the admin screen for the first time.

Thanks again for all your help.

Elev.

Login

Who's Online

162 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 162

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits