Staren
Which content manager makes the best story module?
  • 2005/2/21 20:11

• Staren

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/21

One of my projects that I would like to use XOOPS for is a fan community that will have a good bit of fan art and fan fiction. Rather then installing and testing a ton of modules I thought I would just ask. I need something that will allow users to post multi-page stores into one of a list of catagories. Which of the article managers fits this? Thanks guys.

carnuke
Re: Which content manager makes the best story module?
  • 2005/2/21 20:33

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

You could say any article manager that supports categories and allows user submissions would fit the bill.

The question is , how much control do you want on things like moderation, limiting certain categories, arranging submissions to display by date order, ... whatever.

Its really hard to advise you, without knowing your full spec.

Even modules like the wiwimod or SmartFAQ would work very well in some cases, depending on your needs.

That's been a bundle of help hasn't it?

Bottom line is, you need to try these article modules and see, or visit sites that have them installed.

patagon
  • 2005/2/21 22:06

• patagon

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/1/8 0

I have been doing some research on them as well. My needs are somewhat different, but I guess the idea is the same. it seems to me you'll have to try them, there are many small differences that matter. for example wfsections seems it could work very well, but doesnt use notifications for example (yet at least). is this important? well, it depends a lot on your use, for me it was.

I started trying wf-sections and AMS, that seemed the best fitted for my needs, and I think could work for you too. Its quite hard to try them all, but worth it IMO. I will likely end up using weblinks instead of them actually, but this is for my special needs.

LazyBadger

Quote:

Staren wrote:
I need something that will allow users to post multi-page stores into one of a list of catagories. Which of the article managers fits this? Thanks guys.

Most of... Such type of questions ("What I must select for ...")was the main reason for creating my Modules Proving Ground. Without installing on own live server, you can try on it (as user and as modules admin) big set of content-management modules...
Namely:
AMS
Edito
Soapbox
SmartSections
ArMS

(skipped only well-known Articles and WF-Channel)

Staren
  • 2005/2/21 22:51

• Staren

• Just popping in

LazyBadger, thank you! I'll be over there in a few minutes. That's exactly what I need. Just enough so I can look at what each offers and get a quick feel for each one. Thanks for the link.

karedokx
  • 2005/2/22 4:11

• karedokx

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/1 6

all those specified above are missing 1 basic function actually to be able to serve as a true fan fiction module, which is the ability for the members to submit the story title, see my post on: fan fiction module.

i'm currently working on establishing the fan fiction too using smartsection (as marcan, the author of smartsection, has agreed to accomodate the above feature in his smartsection. later though, once he complete all the basic requirement for the article mgt in smartsection). i'll share it with you later, staren.

Staren
  • 2005/2/22 4:42

• Staren

• Just popping in

Thanks for the heads up karedokx. I'll be keeping an eye out for when that's done. Someone really should do a Fictionized or eFiction module convert to XOOPS if they can. Both Postnuke and phpNuke have something along those lines. I just don't know that much about the code to do something on that scale or I would.

Login

Who's Online

277 user(s) are online (170 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 277

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits