Ichibanda
Blogs?
  • 2005/2/15 0:36

• Ichibanda

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/15

Hi all-

I am in the process of developing a few community based sites and right now looking for the best format etc. I dont have tons of money to pay a programer 1,000 of dollars to mak the sites for me and thus was searching for script programs and found xoops.

I was able to easily install it on a practice domain and have been playing with the set up and options etc.

I have a question though. I want to create a sports community website and I would like for members to be able to create their own blogs that will be hosted on the community site. This way as they promote their blogs it will be promtoing the site also.

Is there a module that can do this?

Thanks
Ichibanda

dlh
Re: Blogs?
  • 2005/2/15 0:39

• dlh

• Since: 2002/2/20

Yeah - check out the module weBlog.

https://xoops.org/modules/repository/singlefile.php?cid=4&lid=1483

It's awesome. You can see it working on my site:

www.guitargearheads.com

Dan

WarDick
  • 2005/2/15 1:40

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/9/13

Check out popnupBlog2 you can see it in action and download it at the authors web site. It has more advanced features.

Ichibanda
  • 2005/2/15 5:48

• Ichibanda

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/15

Hi there-

Thank you both for your reply. Both of the blog modules look good. For a complete newbie amature can either of you explain what are some of the major or key features of both modules so I can decide which one to install. I looked at both but still need some guidance.

So what are the major benefits to Popnupblog2 vs weblog?

1. Do they both allow users to ahve their own blogs that are basically hosted or contained on your own site? It looks like yes but I want to make sure.

2. Is one of them more search engine friendly or are they both dynimcally or database driven?

3. IS there a way that users can promote their blogs?

4. IS there an RSS feed set up so they can rss feed to Yahoo or other feed sites?

5. Is the user still able to use a service like Ping-O-Matic?

Thanks!
Ichibanda

By the way I will be around for a while and after learning some stuff I plan on helping other newbies. I love the idea of open source code and the XOOPS looks amazing. I am sold on it. So I'll be seeing you around here a lot I think.

tommyZ
  • 2005/2/15 18:02

• tommyZ

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/1/4 1

1. Do they both allow users to ahve their own blogs that are basically hosted or contained on your own site? It looks like yes but I want to make sure.

Yeap, all the information is stored on the hosting site in ithe database.

2. Is one of them more search engine friendly or are they both dynimcally or database driven?

The XOOPS search works like wonders with weblog, not sure about popnup, but I assume it works just fine because it searchs the database.

3. IS there a way that users can promote their blogs?

There are blocks you can move around the site promoting for latest and recent entries and more.

4. IS there an RSS feed set up so they can rss feed to Yahoo or other feed sites?

Weblog has an automatik rss feed generator that can be turned on or off.

5. Is the user still able to use a service like Ping-O-Matic?

not sure...

tommyz

Login

Who's Online

218 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 218

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits