kiwiguy
Frustrated
  • 2005/1/24 12:24

• kiwiguy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/4/19

Well it seems ever since I have upgraded to 2.0.9.2 I have had nothing but issues with the templates and blocks now if it was a isolated problem I would have no problem but it seems that when the templates and blocks are affected it affects everything and so far there has been no reports from the XOOPS core team to even acknowledge they know about this problem and are currently working on it and a estimated time that it will take before they are able to come up with a solution.

I do understand they work hard and I appreciate whatever help I get from xoops. But the frustrations is that I posted a question 3 days ago in wf-projects.com about the block issue with the recent downloads not displaying the latest downloads and to this day no reply I also made a post here with 1 reply stating its a bug in 2.0.9.2 with no idea that there is a fix being worked on or when to expect it, now more issues with wf downloads which I do hope they reply to my l;atest issue.

So the end question here from me i need to ask as I am 1 fed up with 2.0.9.2 and wish to go back to 2.0.7.3 till the bugs in 2.0.9.2 are fixed is there a way of downgrading??

If no is there a way of going back to MyDownloads module without losing all the downloads and having to re enter 95 files into mydownloads????

I am sorry if this sounds like a whinge well it is I am completly frustrated here I have never had such problems like this with XOOPS that has not ever not been able to be fixed over a 24 hour period 2 days at the most as i have found XOOPS very efficient in there support and this is frustrating that I am not getting anywhere with the problem I have post in 3 different sites to no avail.

thanks in advance
kiwiguy

jensclas
Re: Frustrated

Hi Kiwi guy

I am no expert and can't really help with your problem. I am responding so you know I looked. I don't fully understand from what you have written what specifically your problems are and I can't look up your previous posts as you have not linked them to this one.

From a newbie perspective...have you tried running your site with the default theme? If so is the problem still there? Have you tried a different theme?

If the problem goes away then the theme may well be your problem. If it is still there then perhaps you need to coonsider how to get the attention of the key people in XOOPS to respond to you. A very specific 'subject' header is a start. Include a link to your site or screenshots so that they can see as well as read what your problems are. Try PM as a means of contacting someone specific to get you going on resolving the problem. Make sure your question is posted in the right section of the forums. Since your problems seem to me to be theme related be sure to ask in that forum.

You are right - these guys work really hard - but they also need very specific questions and patience in order to be able to help us.

Do you know how to 'bump' a topic? If after 2 days you get no response reply to your own topic with the word bump to bring it back to the top of the forum.

Hope this helps a little
Jenny

carnuke
  • 2005/1/24 20:41

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Kiwiguy, do you have any full site backups pre. 2.0.9.2 upgrade? you would need all the files and the database.

If so, you could practice installing another installation of XOOPS with all all your pre-upgrade files and data.

If this all went well, you could 'bite the bullet' and delete your current site and reinstall the practice version in your root. In the practice site you would need to make some changes to mainfile.php, but this is well documented in the FAQ.

This would effectively return you to a pre-upgrade state.
It's not a pretty solution and requires reliable backups, but in theory this would work.

brash
  • 2005/1/24 21:41

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

The template/blocks issue are reported in these bug reports on SourceForge;

One thing I'd like to see people start giving details on when reporting these issues is what environment their sites are hosted in. Things like;

- PHP version
- MySQL Version
- Web server (and Version)
- Web server config (e.g ISAPI, CGI or FastCGI if using IIS
- Operating System (and Version)
- Permissions setting (in particular the cache and template_c directories)

I have 3 XOOPS 2.0.9.2 websites on my IIS 5.1 server, and none of them have displayed any of these template/block issues. However, I have put a halt on upgrading my site from 2.0.7.3 until this situation pans out.

kiwiguy
  • 2005/1/25 0:00

• kiwiguy

• Friend of XOOPS

Ok lets get to the nitty gritty with detail detail details brash you make a very good point but not everybody is a computer wizard and are only newbies so have no idea what there set up is especially if there running on a subdomain and do not have the following details but these are mine

- PHP version = 4.3.10
- MySQL Version = 4.0.22-standard
- Web server= apache
- Web server config CGI
- Operating System Apache 1.3.33 (Unix)
- Permissions setting (in particular the cache and template_c directories) 777 on both
-Size of underwear= huge.... (just kidding)

As fo posting this and my problems elsewhere I have with no avail

-http://www.wf-projects.com/modules/ipboard/index.php?showtopic=858&st=0&#entry3615

-https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=30483&forum=7&post_id=133253#forumpost133253
(Do not wish to play around with database after much thought)

-https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=30501&forum=28&post_id=133282#forumpost133282

I have also let bug reports in sourceforge on this matterso I cannot see how I have not been specific on these issues this is why I am frustrated I have gon to 3 different sites for help to be told that its a bug thats in the pipeline to be fixed and I am not about to play in the database and ruin my site as I am not comfortable with playing with the database.

Now I have another problem none of my moderaters have access to the admin section as I have set permissions for them to be able to access certain parts of the admin panel through group permissions It seems that there is another bug every day with it.

Thanks carnuke for that idea I may actually try that if I have a backup of the current database and I have a full backup of a old site I would most likely lose a few modules that I have installed since then???

Could I not just install the core files from the previous version and that would downgrade it back to 2.0.7.3??

Quote:
jensclas wrote...From a newbie perspective...have you tried running your site with the default theme? If so is the problem still there? Have you tried a different theme?

Yes I have tried numerous themes and its not a themes problem as there all running from the same default templates but thanks for the tip

As for the download section it seems a bug thats in the pipeline to be fixed because of the bug in 2.0.9.2 so I do not know what to do now.

Hope this is enough information for you to be able to help.

thanks in advance
kiwiguy

jdseymour

Hi kiwiguy,

Just letting you know, when I get time, I am going to look into the database fix Draven spoke of. Probably the weekend.
Fixing other local comp problems at this time.

I kind of skimmed over it this morning and need to make notes, lots of entries.

And I understand your concern. Wish I could help more.

brash
  • 2005/1/25 0:11

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Hi kiwiguy,

I might be WAY off here, but to me it appears as if most of the people experiencing the same issue you are all using apache. As I said this might be way off, but I am yet to see an IIS user report having these problems. If you like I can put your site up on my server tonight (windows 2003 Server / IIS 6) so we can at least test this theory. PM me if you want to proceed.

kiwiguy
  • 2005/1/25 0:27

• kiwiguy

• Friend of XOOPS

brash refer to the PM

ronhab
  • 2005/1/25 0:58

• ronhab

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/27

You can add me to the list of frustrated people. Actually, I think I am more frustrated than kiwiguy.

I appreciate very much all the hard work the devs do. I have shown my appreciation by giving back quite a bit I think (helping with docs, answering posts here, etc) with the little things us non-developers can do. But I can't understand how work is going on on new module released, etc., when a bug introduced by the team has farked over multiple XOOPS sites and goes unassigned in the bug tracker and appears to have had minimal work done on it despite being reported on XOOPS.org the very first day the upgrades were released (weeks now).

kiwiguy
  • 2005/1/25 1:08

• kiwiguy

• Friend of XOOPS

I agree entirely with ronhab so far there has been minimal response if not any from the core team about this bug apart from its a bug (which we have found out) and to the time frame of this fix.

I have logged a bug report to the core team and as of yet have heard nothing concerning it I do respect that they work hard and as a non developer myself I have also put back into XOOPS my contribution to better what i personally believe a grea CMS.

All I ever asked is that if there is a bug don't make people wait till the next upgrade wich I think is 2.2 how far off is that and we should not have to wait that long to fix a bug that should of been fixed before being made final.

cheers
kiwiguy

Login

Who's Online

157 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 157

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits