tedsmith
phpMyAdmin - Preventing Users Having Access
  • 2005/1/5 14:54

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

I am not talking abou the phpMyAdmin XOOPS module here, but the standard phpMyAdmin tool...

I have phpMyAdmin installed on our local Intranet. Although the MySQL server is password protected, I want to avoid users (other than myself) being able to access the tool by typing http://www.ourIntranetSite.net/phpMyAdmin/.

I've looked on the net for a while and there's lots about using it to protect the database, but I do not want my users being able to access phpMyAdmin at all.

The reason I don't want to use the module is in case I need access to phpMyAdmin in the event that my XOOPS site goes down (which I have done before).

Thanks

Ted

Herko
Re: phpMyAdmin - Preventing Users Having Access
  • 2005/1/5 15:04

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Hey, are you using an Apache webserver? If so, then do a search for .htaccess and .htpassword files and how to create them There's lots and lots of info on password protecting directories on the web, and it's relatively easy to do so.

Herko

tedsmith
  • 2005/1/5 15:06

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

I use IIS6 and Windows Server 2003.

If I was to get our netwrok admin to password protect the phpmyadmin folder with a password of my choosing, I assume that would stop my users being able to access it via a browser, yes?

Dave_L
  • 2005/1/5 15:48

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

Yes, that's correct.

Alternatively, the phpMyAdmin manual explains how to set up "cookie authentication", so that you have to log into phpMyAdmin with a MySQL username and password. Your access privileges within phpMyAdmin then correspond to the grants for that MySQL user.

That type of authentication requires editing the phpMyAdmin config.inc.php file, and also (I think) adding a special "control" MySQL user.

Login

Who's Online

237 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 237

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits