tedsmith
ImageMagick, NetPBM required for Xoops or not?
  • 2005/1/4 14:15

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

Do I need to install ImageMagick, NetPBM or GD on our 'Windows 2003 Server' server for running Xoops?

It's been running XOOPS since August 04 and we have MyAlbum and that seems to be working fine without it, and now we have NewBB2 on it as well, and they both seem to be working OK without any of these 3 imaging tools.

Would I see\gain any advantage by installing it? Would it improve performance or provide any significant benefits ot my Intranet?

We run XOOPS 2.0.9.2 on IIS6, Windows 2003 Server, MySQL 4.0.20 and PHP 4.3.6

Thanks

Ted

m0nty
Re: ImageMagick, NetPBM required for Xoops or not?
  • 2005/1/4 14:24

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

in short, you only really need 1 of them..

GD2 is probably the most used and is as functional as the others now that gif creation is supported with it..

GD2 is usually included in the package when u setup PHP, the other 2 will need to be installed and setup seperately..

tedsmith
  • 2005/1/4 15:18

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

Thanks M0nty - I knew that I didn't need all of them, but NewBB2 is reporting that NONE of them are installed. Like you say, if GD was put in when I installed php on the server, then it isn't being detected even though I have set the module to AUTO detect.

My site is handling the pictures fine though - no problems at all, so it must be using something to render the graphics. I wondered if IIS has it's own graphics facility?

DonXoop

I don't think that IIS or Windoze itself has by default any graphics engine that is being used. Wouldn't that involve them using some kind of real "standard"?

You likely have something there like GD or image rezing wouldn't be working at all. newbb might not tell you it knows but it is there. My own site didn't list anything either even though I know what I have and where it is. Suddenly one day it appeared in the list. I wasn't worried because graphics have been working.

Down the line you might investigate what you have and possibly optimize the engine choices.

tedsmith
  • 2005/1/4 15:56

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

Thanks for that DonXoop.

I had exactly the same issue on my personnal web site (in my sig) where for a week or two no mention of NetPBM or Imagemagick was made, then all of a sudden they appeared in nice green writing. With that though, I know that the server has been set up by pros! My work Intranet site has been set up by me so there's a huge difference!! Who knows, maybe they will show up there eventually too. I'll just keep things as they are for now until I hit a limitation of somekind.

tedsmith
  • 2005/1/14 15:38

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

See my thread here which relates specifically to installation problems with ImageMagick that I need help with too (!!).

I only posted here because it seems that either due to upgrading to 2.0.9.2 or once a certain amount of images have been submitted, problems occur without one of these two applicvations on the server. In my case, all was working fine, then I upgraded to 2.0.9.2, and since then I get the following when submitting images :

PHP Fatal errorCall to undefined function: imagecreatefromjpeg() in d:cms.fctmodulesmyalbumincludefunctions.php on line 292

and the URL link goes to :

http://fct.local/modules/myalbum/submit.php?caller=

So, having installed ImageMagick now, I cannot seem to get XOOPS to detect that it's there - NewBB2 and MyAlbum just keeps saying 'Not Detected'.

BTW, I use MyAlbum 2.83. Anyway, see my thread here

Anonymous
  • 2005/1/14 17:07

• Anonymous

• Since:

Newbb 2.0 needs one of the Libraries only if you use resizing attached Images, so the attached Images doesn´t distroey your layout by the postings, for windows use it is the easiest to install GD2.

Download GD2 for Windows

How to install GD2 propper

Login

Who's Online

466 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 466

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits