ronhab
Protector Module Usage
  • 2005/1/1 18:06

• ronhab

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/27

After seeing NonHerko post as Herko I installed the Protector module on my site.

The readme is sort of vague. After I activate the block, should I be able to see it as webmaster? It is checked off as "visible" but no block is showing.

Thank you.

irmtfan
Re: Protector Module Usage
  • 2005/1/1 18:22

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

there is no visible block in protector module at all.
you dont see anything but be sure uncheck XOOPS Protector Module Access rights for registered user and check the block is visible for anon and registered users

wtravel

Hi Ronhab,

You should not see an actual block. The block code is executed, which calls a number of security checks.

However, if you do not make the block visible, the security checks will not be executed from the block.

GIJOE, correct me if I am missing something here.

Martijn

vinit
  • 2005/1/1 18:23

• vinit

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/1/10

how to test if its working or not

ronhab
  • 2005/1/1 18:27

• ronhab

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/27

Quote:

irmtfan wrote:
there is no visible block in protector module at all.
you dont see anything but be sure uncheck XOOPS Protector Module Access rights for registered user and check the block is visible for anon and registered users

OK, thank you. Why remove "module access" for registered users? If you do that, then they can not "see" the "invisible block", correct? and the code won't execute for them?

Right now I have access rights and block rights enabled for registered + anonymous, and module admin rights added for webmasters/admins. This is incorrect? Only webmasters should have access rights as well as admin rights?

irmtfan
  • 2005/1/1 18:34

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

look at this article form xoops-tips.com
http://xoops-tips.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=39

wtravel

The protector block will be "visible", also with module access rights off. Most important in the installation is to update the mainfile.php file, other than making the protector block visible for all groups.

Module access rights is not needed, nor can it harm having the boxes checked. As long as you do not give anyone else the admin rights to the module.

Regards,

Martijn

wtravel

Quote:
how to test if its working or not

You can test it in the admin section of the module in the "Security Advisory". When you go to the links on the bottom of the page after you logout, log back in as webmaster and go to the protector admin pages again. In the "Protect Center" you will see at least 2 recorded attempts to crack your site (one for each link you tested).

The reason why you should first log out is to see if the protector block is working for anonymous users as well (by default installation the protector block is off for anonymous users).

Regards,

Martijn

tedsmith
  • 2005/1/1 19:01

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

I've raised these queries too at GIJOEs site here but I think you guys have answered most of them. One does still remain unanswered for me though, and that is this...

I have set the rescue password in the preferences of the module, and then I saw the 'Check if Protector Works Well' in Security Advisory. However, I hover the mouse over it and nothing happens - it just appears to be text. I found the post where this 'self-testing' feature was suggested, and then GIJOE has replied by saying he will implement it - so it is obviously a tester to see how well it works on your site. The fact that I cannot seem to activate it seems odd though. Is this correct or is it a bug or something?

wtravel

I managed to use the links. Did you install the latest version of the protector module (2.21)?

Martijn

Login

Who's Online

163 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 163

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits