rpclarke
Module Dev Forge
  • 2004/11/29 17:39

• rpclarke

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/6

I signed up an account at Module Dev Forge, but I can't access any of the forums there... How do I get access? Its the same account as here, RPCLARKE. Thanks!

hervet
Re: Module Dev Forge
  • 2004/11/29 18:25

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/11/4

Hi,

You must be a "part" of a project to have access to the forums.

Bye,
Hervé

Mithrandir

Yes, you first have to be a part of a project - either as project participant or project manager.

I can see that you have applied for a new project, but I have rejected the application. I have done that because the application was - quite frankly - very bad.

When you apply for a project, you need to state in as much detail as possible:

a) What kind of module you will be making - whether you are basing it on something else or creating from scratch

b) What you expect to gain from being part of the dev.xoops.org community.
Do you need help from us? Will you be able to give help? Is the module a ground-breaking new invention that could be useful for other module developers? Or is it a learning project that could make you a XOOPS asset in the future? - that kind of thing

Not just one line with a superficial description.

rpclarke
  • 2004/11/29 19:56

• rpclarke

• Just popping in

I personally think its pretty rude that you have to start a project to access forums, even for just a reading ability. I just want access to be able to read forums and go over other questions people have asked.

Yes I do have questions, and documentation is quite lacking. I just want to make a few modules for my own specific use, and to ask some questions about how database access and integration works. The best place for that would be the Dev Forge.. Unless you want those types of questions on this board.

In my opinion you should review your forum access policies. There are plenty of "new" people who would surely benefit from being able to view those forums who may have an interest in creating modules and becoming as you say a XOOPS asset in the future.

Up until this point I have been impressed with the XOOPS portal, but if this is the kind of support you get when trying to customize the portal for your own use, no matter what skill level you are at programming wise, it is making me reconsider my choice.

Thanks.

intel352
  • 2004/11/29 20:12

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

the purpose of requiring that a user must also have a project, is to protect the rest of the developers. the dev site is for *developers*, and if we had it 100% open like xoops.org, then we would be inundated with rather pointless "How do i install xoops?!?!?!!!111oneone" questions.

i think another purpose is to encourage developers to *register* their projects. if you have a project, would like to use dev.xoops resources, then register it within the guidelines specified by mith.

this is actually one of the most encouraging developer communities, imho (i've been around 4 different CMSes, developing, and i prefer the XOOPS community above all)

Quote:

rpclarke wrote:
I personally think its pretty rude that you have to start a project to access forums, even for just a reading ability. I just want access to be able to read forums and go over other questions people have asked.

Yes I do have questions, and documentation is quite lacking. I just want to make a few modules for my own specific use, and to ask some questions about how database access and integration works. The best place for that would be the Dev Forge.. Unless you want those types of questions on this board.

In my opinion you should review your forum access policies. There are plenty of "new" people who would surely benefit from being able to view those forums who may have an interest in creating modules and becoming as you say a XOOPS asset in the future.

Up until this point I have been impressed with the XOOPS portal, but if this is the kind of support you get when trying to customize the portal for your own use, no matter what skill level you are at programming wise, it is making me reconsider my choice.

Thanks.

Herko
  • 2004/11/29 20:18

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

rude? Hm. I (strongly) disagree. XOOPS is a real community project: people give as well as take. That is the foundation the XOOPS project is built upon, and what makes it so successfull.

So why is it rude for us to ask you to think about what you want to give as well as take? Especially at the XOOPS Dev Forge, which isn't a support community, but -as the name suggests- a development community. It's a place for people to collabortate and work together.

Documentation is lacking you say? You're probably right. But you can access all we've got. The Dev Wiki is open to all. And you can look at the source of every file of every module. I'll grant you that it isn't the best way to help you out, but it's what we've got.

The reason for the closed froums at dev.xoops.org is simple. We want to keep it as focussed on development as possible, and have support questions answered here. So far, this has worked reasonably well, but I agree it's not perfect.

But rude? no way. Personally, I feel that demanding to be let in and catered personally is rather rude (speaking in general here, you're definately not the first, nor will you be the last, so don't feel offended, it's not meant as such). So, please join the community by giving as well as taking and help us build XOOPS.

Herko

hervet
  • 2004/11/29 20:26

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/11/4

Hi again rpclarke,

Quote:

rpclarke wrote:

There are not so much "secrets" inside this forum. Just some programers asking other programers programing questions.

Give Mith more explanations about your project and he will review your demand, and you will be, may be, welcome.

Mith is a right man and he is trying to do his best, so don't be rude with him please.

Bye,
Hervé

rpclarke
  • 2004/11/29 20:38

• rpclarke

• Just popping in

There is nothing stopping you from letting the forums be viewed publically but not let anyone post at the very least.

Currently I am going through other peoples code, but having an issue with database integration. You could have a "beginners" development forum on the main XOOPS website..

I can understand wanting to filter out the "how do I install xoops" similar questions which is fair. So where is the person who is quite capable of setting up xoops, and can do some PHP programming and modification of various files supposed to go for help?

What about creating a "Beginners" Development project thats seperate from the rest of the community?

I wouldn't mind helping out the community, but I need a place to start and to learn more about XOOPS before I can be at a level where I can contribute to XOOPS. Right now I had plans for 4 XOOPS sites, 2 private, 1 commercial, 1 non-profit organisation. Isn't my beginning contribution in using your software is using it in the first place?

Where's the biscuit for attempting to customize my sites through modules and programming?

Anyhow like I said, I would love to contribute, but the bottom line is, that sometimes you have to take before you can give back.

Thanks 8)

Mithrandir

I'd like to add to this - because it probably was not clear from my first posting - that your project does not have to "qualify" for the forge by being some kind of fantastic project. We want to make sure that the people in the dev.x.o forums are looking for collaboration and not just one-way help. By asking you to explain in more detail what your project is about and how you will use the dev forge, we have at least forced you to think about that prior to be granted access.

As Herko says, the dev wiki is open to everyone and we do try to get the most important aspects included there - such as the anatomy of a module page and explanations on how to use the XoopsForm classes.

However, the forums are for developer-to-developer talks about how to solve specific problems, how to implement something so that it fits best with the core or whether an invention in a module could be of use to other modules and should be included in the core.

Since I know what is in the forums - and you don't (not trying to be rude, just stating facts) - I think that I am in a better position to judge whether it is of interest to the general public. I honestly don't think that much of it is - and that which is of general interest is usually posted here as well.

rpclarke
  • 2004/11/29 21:10

• rpclarke

• Just popping in

Fair enough.

At this point I don't want a project anyways which was why I didnt put alot of detail, because 1) its a work in progress 2) I really don't want to share my ugly code since I am doing testing and design first based on a rough design doc in my head.

So I will ask my database question here in a new topic then, because I can't find any of the info for that in the design wiki.

Sorry if I came across harsh, it just seems to be the usual issue where you have beginners on one side of the fence in a pen segregated from the experienced people who don't want to help the beginners out of the pen when it comes to their playground.

I didn't want to post questions where they didn't belong since this side of things is orientated to the use and operation of xoops...

Anyhow, my apologies..

Thanks.

Login

Who's Online

94 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 94

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits