intel352
Bragging about my multisite modifications :-)
  • 2004/11/27 7:52

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

hehe, i'm getting psyched about my multi-site modifications, so i decided to brag a bit

awhile back, i developed a multisite mod for XOOPS 2.0.7.3 (and submitted it as a patch to the sourceforge patch tracker). once XOOPS 2.0.9 beta became available, i installed 2.0.9, along with my multisites mod, as well as a few other smaller modifications that i've created in the past month or two.

i'm now working on a small network of 6 sites, using my multisites modification, with all sites running off of the same installation of xoops

today, i created a new modification for xoops, by adding a 'site registry' to xoops, where i keep record of all of my multisite sites. each has a unique id, and the sitename, url, and site path is recorded as well. using this registry, and by making a number of changes to WF-Downloads, i can now add Categories and Downloads, and associate each category or download with a specific site, or allow all sites to view the category or download

this is a very useful mod for me, because i can now manage my downloads from any of my network sites, and control who sees what on the frontend. it requires less maintenance, since i no longer have to duplicate category or file entries, and don't have to load up the admin interface for each site, to manage the downloads

i'll possibly be implementing this mod into other Modules as well, such as NewBB, News, AMS, MyLinks, etc etc...

the prospects that this gives me has me all tingly now
lol...

anywho, the network of multisites will be unveiled hopefully before the end of this weekend.

/end brag

MadFish
Re: Bragging about my multisite modifications :-)
  • 2004/11/27 8:30

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Sounds cool. I hope multi-siteness will make it into the core sooner or later :)

I have a question for you: With your mod is it possible to search content across all sites simultaneously ? Our website is divided into sections or departments. We'd like the flexibility of having a separate site for each section, but we would like the content from all sub-sites to be accessible via search so that users don't have to bounce around to find what they need.

Is this possible ?

intel352
  • 2004/11/27 8:41

• intel352

• Module Developer

Quote:

MadFish wrote:
Sounds cool. I hope multi-siteness will make it into the core sooner or later :)

I have a question for you: With your mod is it possible to search content across all sites simultaneously ? Our website is divided into sections or departments. We'd like the flexibility of having a separate site for each section, but we would like the content from all sub-sites to be accessible via search so that users don't have to bounce around to find what they need.

Is this possible ?

sure. if my modification were implemented into whatever module you're using, it's just a matter of how the search file were configured (and is just a matter of one line of code in that file, depending on how complex the file is)

just my multisite mod alone wouldn't suffice your needs, because while you'd be able to share modules across all sites, it would be the exact same content being shared. this new modification (the site registry) allows modules to be shared across all sites, but content can be separated per site.

the information is stored in the same database for all sites, which means that all of the information is accessible by all sites.

but anywho, after that wordy explanation, yes, what you want could be done

Brice
  • 2004/12/13 21:49

• Brice

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/29

Hi,

Your new feature about the multi-sites sound very cool. Is it possible to use or test this module immediately with the Xoop 2.0.7.3?
Or could you please tell about the approximativement and humanly date of the avalaibility.

Thanks so much.

Brice

intel352
  • 2004/12/13 23:02

• intel352

• Module Developer

it's actually in use on a group of sites that i run, one of which ishttp://www.csmapcentral.com

the modification is actually available in xoops' sourceforge patch repository, but i've made quite a few changes since then, and i have a few more changes to make before i release the latest modifications

when i originally created the modification, i was working on a development site, not a live site. since launching 7 sites using this mod, i've found things that could be done differently or better, which is what i'm working on changing.

i'm multitasking between different projects at the moment, so i'm looking to get to the next item on my multisite list, sometime in the next 2 weeks, so depending on how things work out, another 2 weeks to 1 month.

if i can get some of my other development projects out of the way, that projected date will move much closer. it all just depends on what i get done elsewhere.

rcjohnson
  • 2004/12/13 23:50

• rcjohnson

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/23

With your multisite hacking, how are you handling the group permissions?

Does only one site set permissions for all the sites, or can each individual site, have its own group access authorization rights?

intel352
  • 2004/12/14 1:31

• intel352

• Module Developer

you can set permissions individually for each site, *or* share same permissions across all sites.

i have the same permissions shared, since all of my sites are more along the lines of portals to the same content (with a few small exceptions per site)

brash
  • 2004/12/14 1:48

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Man this mod would have saved me SO much time and effort if I had thought of it a few months back . Nice job though bd_cmsc

intel352
  • 2004/12/14 4:17

• intel352

• Module Developer

i dunno how much it would have saved you, it's still a painful process

tho still simpler than managing 7 totally separate sites, hehe.

i need to get the admin system setup so that it will update all 7 sites when 1 is updated (my situation), cus it gets repetitive having to go into each site for the same action.

Brice
  • 2004/12/14 15:14

• Brice

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/29

Hi,
It is cool. Thank so much for your rapid answer.

If you don't mind here is my another question .
Is it possible to "clone" a model site to create a new one?

->I mean: I want to create another site, but this or these
another sites will take all the default modules and definition I have defined for my model site.

-->Of course, once I create a clone site from a model, I would like to customize it by applying another themes and adding another modules if I want?

Thank you very much for your kindness.

Brice

Login

Who's Online

186 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 186

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits