firehorse
Any news on Xoopsshop osCommerce 0.2 / zencart?
  • 2004/11/9 14:10

• firehorse

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/9

Hi,

I've been investigating setting up a XOOPS site with a shopping cart. I have been looking athttp://xosc.xoops2.org/ with the integrated oscommerce although I was more interested in using zencart.

However, just checked the site today and found this.

"The site is currently closed for removing to the main site xoops2.org. Further developing is planned and a change to the Zen-Cart Shop because of the better code as the origina has.l Please come back later."

So good news on changing to zencart but ... I wanted the shopping cart today (as ever with these things )

So, any news on any estimated finish date?

And can I assume the best option at the moment is to use the old module with oscommerce and wait until the new module is completed before migrating across?

Thanks
Alan

Rickb
Re: Any news on Xoopsshop osCommerce 0.2 / zencart?
  • 2004/11/11 7:07

• Rickb

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/10/24

Hi Alan,

We at Mozilla Dev are looking for an e-commerce module that fits into XOOPS.

Rick

noisia
  • 2004/11/19 2:29

• noisia

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/8/24

I was also looking for a shopping module in Xoops, but searching around does not reveal any developments any time soon.

I ended up just setting up a site with Zencart stand alone.

Hopefully someone will bring some integration with XOOPS in the future.

Mithrandir

Predator and I will work on a shopping module, based (loosely) on ZenCart - in that way that we will not reinvent the wheel, if things are already in ZenCart, but we will not make it a direct port of ZenCart either, as it holds quite some functionality already present in XOOPS to deal with presentation etc.

We are in the planning phase now and calculate with starting programming in January.

joeiscoffee

I, for one, would welcome a thoughtful discussion on the merits of zencart vs oscommerce. Especially as it may relate to integration with xoops.

I now use oscommerce. I looked at zencart but after looking at the huge number of modules available for oscommerce (some I required) vs the significantly less for zencart I went with osc.

I am not suggesting zencart is inferior in code quality or anything else. Less could certainly be more.

But if osc code is reasonably good ( i'm not saying osc is inferior code) don't the comparatively huge number of modules and coders working away at osc make it a better choice because it has a much broader range of features at this time?

What are the perceived superior features of zencart?

Again let me emphasize I only seek a thoughtful discussion.

Mithrandir

As I see it and the reason why Predator and I have decided to use ZenCart as the basis instead of OSC is that ZC has a much better reputation than OSC.

I guess one can compare it to XOOPS vs PHPNuke. Neither are awful systems, but I prefer XOOPS' code over PHPNuke's - even though there are gazillions of modules available for PHPNuke.

It is only heresay, though, I have not looked at OSC only ZenCart code, but Predator has worked with OSC and I trust his judgement of code portability and excellence.

joeiscoffee

xoops with an integrated robust cart is certainly an exciting proposition that I look forward to using. I can certainly relate to your php-nuke vs XOOPS example although I must say you are being rather harsh on osc with that comparison, if my experience with both osc and phpNuke is any basis for judgement.

JMorris
  • 2004/11/19 21:43

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

I recently downloaded Zencart to evaluate it. When I went to their homepage, I could have sworn that I was looking at a XOOPS site. By default, Zencart blends right in with the XOOPS layout. Zencart is much easier to use than OSC as well. OSCs front and back ends are cluttered and not at all intuitive.

Ok, so OSC has more modules. I can see that as a valid argument. However, for the average eCommerce site, Zencart all the functionality you could need.

psst: There is always the option of contacting the author of the OSC module you need and see if they are interested in porting their module over to Zencart. A lot of developers are happy to do such things, especially if you put a $$$mile on their face.

Keep up the great work Mithrandir and Preditor! I'm eager to see what you turn out.

CiberEspia

it can watch and obtain some of the great functionalities that mambo-phpshop also has.
http://www.mambo-phpshop.net/
the admin shop is brilliant!

richbrown
  • 2004/11/22 18:40

• richbrown

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/20

Following this topic with interest. I am currently building a site for a friend who will at first use the site as a means of displaying dresses etc...

However, she would like at some point to allow ecommerce etc. and so I thought I would go for this straight out. Can't get the site working, something to do with registering globals but really wanted to get feedback on what folks think.

What would be the best shop to go for?

Thanks

Rich

Login

Who's Online

198 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 198

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits