24jedi
"first time to enter the administration section"
  • 2004/10/25 21:05

• 24jedi

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/21

Hello,

After searching this site, I have come close to what may/ or may not be the problem...but I'm not sure.

This is the second XOOPS site I will have set up. Both websites are on the same ISP server, different domains.

Both sites were installed using the ISP provided scripts by using cpanel/fantastico.

Symptoms
After installing,
- I can get to the website ok.
- I can login ok, which gives me the USER menu + Administration Menu button on the NAVBAR.

Now...when I click Administration Menu, this takes me to a new screen(page) which simply says "This is your first time to enter the administration section. Press the button below to proceed." with Submit and Cancel buttons directly below.

Hitting Submit results in a circular process with an error message in the upper left hand corner "failed open file" and another message in the middle of the screen that says "loggin you in..." , but then back to the first page

Very basically, I can logged in as a USER but I can't get to the administration section. I suspect this to be a permissions thing on the server, but not sure where to start.

I have seen two other posts with similiar symptoms, yet htere resolutions didn't appear to work for me. :(

Thanks in advance

Stewdio
Re: "first time to enter the administration section"
  • 2004/10/25 21:12

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

You will need to set your /cache folder to world writable on your server (CHMOD 777)

24jedi
Re:
  • 2004/10/25 21:43

• 24jedi

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/21

Thank you very much.
That did the trick

MRA42
Re:
  • 2004/11/5 17:39

• MRA42

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/5

Peace.

I encountered exactly the same problem as 24jedi, but my /cache folder is already writable (Linux: 777).

As far as I've read the PHP-sourcecode it seems that admin.php needs some file /cache/adminmenue.php. Such a file does not exits after my installation.

If I'm not mistaken, admin.php tries to invoke the creation of the adminmenu.php file. But through some unknown reason no such file is created and I'm locked within infinite loop at admin.php.

Does anybody know what is needed for the creation of adminmenu.php? Or is there some default file which can be downloaded?

BTW, since I've encountered many postings from people having the same problem (and getting different yet for me effectless solutions), shouldn't there be some FAQ clarifying this topic? I haven't found one.

Mithrandir
Re:

You will also need to allow your site to access your HTTP_REFERER (sometimes "Information about visited sites") in your software firewall.

Quote:
BTW, since I've encountered many postings from people having the same problem (and getting different yet for me effectless solutions), shouldn't there be some FAQ clarifying this topic? I haven't found one.

Yes, we are currently working on getting SmartFAQ populated with a lot of questions and answers like these. We are getting there.

MRA42
Re:
  • 2004/11/6 10:59

• MRA42

• Just popping in

Peace Mithrandir!

Thanks for your advice.

I just checked wether $HTTP_REFERER is accessible, and it is. The problem has to lie elsewhere.

Moreover, I'm not aware that my host has any firewall system installed which could interfere with the http-requests. Nevertheless, I will check this next week.

Any further suggestions?

Herko
Re:
  • 2004/11/6 11:08

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

MRA: it's not the server firewall that may be blocking the HTTP_REFERRER, but the software firewall running on your computer (like ZoneAlarm) that is blocking the HTTP_HEADER information being written into a cookie, or sent to the server.

Herko

MRA42
Re:
  • 2004/11/8 8:07

• MRA42

• Just popping in

Peace Herko.

Quote:
it's not the server firewall that may be blocking the HTTP_REFERRER, but the software firewall running on your computer

I'm absolutely sure that there is no firewall running on my computer. Further, i've tested the accessibilty of $HTTP_REFERRER in one of my own scripts from my workstation via the same webserver, and it worked.

Is the lack of the $HTTP_REFERRER-information the only reason which could stop the creation of cache/adminmenu.php?

Login

Who's Online

265 user(s) are online (192 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 265

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits