jejeje

Gracias!

Draven
Re:invision board on xoops??
  • 2004/10/16 2:38

• Draven

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/5/28

Just a note on IPB, it's no longer free and you can no longer use Version 2 in your site without paying, beware.

ipporek
  • 2004/10/16 9:32

• ipporek

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/13

Well, I'd personally also like to continue using IPB as that is what I'm currently using and after some comparison, newBB just seems to lack a lot of functionalities (or maybe I just haven't discovered).

But if I ain't able to use IPB and have to use newBB, converting the data over is really gonna be one big headache. :(

Draven
  • 2004/10/16 15:44

• Draven

• Module Developer

I believe Koundashi from bbpixel is switching gears and concentrating on phpBB now, which is still a good forum and may be worth looking at for you.

I know the feeling, I also use IPB on my site and I'mextremely upset that they made the move to pay for software :(

ipporek
  • 2004/10/16 16:24

• ipporek

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/13

Well, frankly speaking I wouldn't mind paying, but if having to that kind of amount, might as well go for vBulletin (which has more features). But ultimately, integrating it to XOOPS will be the big headache (which will be the deciding factor on whether I should replace my 'portal' with XOOPS).

m0nty
  • 2004/10/16 17:23

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

a little bit more in addition..

koudanshi is still going to be providing and supporting ipbm v1.4 and will continue to develop that version aswell.. as you maybe aware v1.4 is based on ipb v1.3 which is free..

@ipkorek

koudanshi has an integrated version of vbulletin too now and will be providing an integrated vb forum for xoops.. of course this is not free and you will need to provide your vb license code before you will be allowed to download the integrated version..

koudanshi has permission from vbulletin to provide an integrated version and distribute it providing the user has paid for a license and the license number is valid.. and it will be checked too, to protect from other users sharing each others license details..

Draven
  • 2004/10/16 18:48

• Draven

• Module Developer

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with pay for products. What I do have a problem with is the weesly tactics they used. Put out a free product, claim it will always be free, wait till thousands of people are using it each with thousands of users in their DB and then turn around and say, " well now that we know it would be a huge pain for you to switch products, guess what, we are going to charge you". Knowing full well they've got atleast half their users by the balls and they're gonna have to pay because they simply can't migrate their large user DB to another system. That's slimy if you ask me.

This is why a company should never own an opensource product. Samething happened with Redhat linux, and I'll almost gaurantee Mambo will do the same since it's owned by a company who already sells a version of it. They wait till their "opensourced" project has reached a point that it's now a viable product agianst other pay-for CMS systems and shutdown the opensource code for further releases.

m0nty
  • 2004/10/16 19:23

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

i agree totally.. matt at invision swore blind that ipb will always be FREE, and now it isn't free.. and it's a shame..

and i found out abt red hat linux too the other day when i went to their site to download their latest distribution to which i found out you can't download it for free..

i thought linux distributions were free and you only paid if you wanted a packaged version complete with docs and then also pay for services provided by them.. but alas not where red hat are concerned.. you now have to pay over a $1000 for certain distributions..

so i downloaded Debian linux instead..

but even Suse Linux has gone the pay way.. ok you can get a personal version of suse 9.1 but it is missing certain features that the full version has..

Login

Who's Online

217 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 217

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits