sbkiller
Xoops vs Mambo
  • 2004/10/4 2:58

• sbkiller

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/6/9 2

Hello,

Any of you tried Mambo?

I heard some people don't like it because it's lack of modules, components and etc. But actually there's alot total of 700+ files for a Mambo CMS.

Mambo has a great features on contents but I really don't know the themes part yet, I wil have it check out out later.

I telling you this because XOOPS and Mambo has weakness and strongness.

Xoops has a highly customizable setting and Mambo has a good layout organized content.

Some how XOOPS CSS files is hard to setup and the themes XOOPS smarty code. XOOPS themes has too much coding but high details customization.

Mambo, (I don't know much yet) seen like simple, and the CSS file too. What I like about Mambo it's that the image manager inside the admin area are very good and easy upload and setup also the editor has a image insert features using {mosimage} for a image placeholder. If you check it out you will get what I'm saying. The image placeholder can align left, center, right with text and content fully wrap around the image without leaving space just like Microsoft Word.

I don't know witch is good but I always wish XOOPS could do better and I'm suggesting any developers XOOPS and Modules look and try the Mambo to see if any of you come up with an ideas.

Also Mambo has a stable nice administration control panel. Simple setup, maybe lack of flexibilities.

sbkiller
Re:Xoops vs Mambo
  • 2004/10/4 3:09

• sbkiller

• Just can't stay away

Also I forgot to tell you something.

In Mambo you can have up to as many block part as you want in the theme files and set it up in the admin area to enable content flow in the block.

Xoops has like 5-6 blocks
Mambo has like unlimited blocks

Official Mambo Site:
http://www.mamboserver.com

Official Mambo Dev Site
http://www.mamboforge.net

UnOfficial Mambo Dev Site (lot more files than official)
http://www.mamboportal.com

isiahlau
Re: Xoops vs Mambo
  • 2004/10/4 3:14

• isiahlau

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/6 1

It has been discussed many times.

Mambo is just an eye candy.

If you are a developer, you will know how the architecture, development framework and reusable components of XOOPS superior.

I definitely won't go for Mambo if I need to build modules for a CMS with high maintainability.

Mikhail
  • 2004/10/4 5:35

• Mikhail

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/1/19

Quote:

sbkiller wrote:
Hello,

Any of you tried Mambo?

I heard some people don't like it because it's lack of modules, components and etc. But actually there's alot total of 700+ files for a Mambo CMS.

well... there much more than 800 *xoops2* files in my harddrive [modules & themes],

Mikhail
  • 2004/10/4 5:37

• Mikhail

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/1/19

1328 XOOPS files:
http://xoops.softwarelivreparana.org.br/repositorio/

[xoops1, xoops2, langs,hacks, dupe files, etc]

LazyBadger

Quote:

sbkiller wrote:
Hello,

Any of you tried Mambo?
Yes, I try (hardly) to create with it usable sites, and have one my site on this <censored> stuff
From non-developer POV - it
- lacks usable modules in wide area
- has ... well... "problematic" concept of separating components (modules in Xoops) and modules (blocks in Xoops), overloaded complexity (forgot to note another creatures - mosbots) as results... You never know before, what you have to have in order to get "this part and this" to work
I can't read Mambo themes without - they are unreadable in editor (but biggest part look nicer than most of XOOPS themes, IMHO)
From reading news and user's comments: each even minor update is big headache for mambers: now they are in movement form 4.5 to 4.5.1 and ... it's not obvious process, even flash-instruction posted as manual
In my tests I see XOOPS works faster - even on more complex site (same host) XOOPS loads ~2x faster
I had to find editor, which will work
- in WYSWYG mode in FireFox
- without glithes
and (partially) failed in such research
For XOOPS I didn't try find alternatives (I have, but it's not "must have" replacement)
Also...
Docman (file-archive) is ugly, forum is "infant terrible"

I can continue this "blacklist" after continued attempts made in Mambo that I want, not that Mambo think I want

sbkiller
  • 2004/10/4 11:49

• sbkiller

• Just can't stay away

Everything is true you guys said, but XOOPS doesn't have the extended blocks or multi blocks right?

Mambo has them by creating an area in the theme name is to "user5" or something else and you go into admin panel you input the "user5" id and you can have the option to insert the content your typed targeted to the "user5" block and the Mambo will detect any part of the theme with an id "user5" and it will place the content there.

I hope this is a good features if it built into Xoops, maybe you guys built this in the future version by adding this features to the admin panel in Xoops. or someone can make a module on this just like one of those module work with the menu by putting {link1} {link2} in the theme files and you go into the admin and input the text and the link.

aerialis
  • 2004/10/4 13:41

• aerialis

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/9/30

Does anybody know if the Mambo Admin works in Opera? It didn't a year ago when I decided to go for XOOPS instead (....and I haven't regret that desicion).

sbkiller
  • 2004/10/4 16:12

• sbkiller

• Just can't stay away

Um.. I don't like Opera so I don't use it and haven't you try FireFox?

sbkiller
  • 2004/10/4 16:19

• sbkiller

• Just can't stay away

To: LazyBadger

I can't read Mambo themes without  - they are unreadable in editor (but biggest part look nicer than most of XOOPS themes, IMHO)

Well I could read it and it's because the default theme are made without table by using DIV. I could make a table theme and it will still work on Mambo. There's some extension plugin for Dreamweaver for developing theme with the Mambo code (let say just like smarty code).

There's one thing I'm thinking about the theme in Mambo, the hideable block like Xoops. XOOPS can hide block if there is no content with the images assigned to it but in Mambo you can hide it but without the image around the block. It might have some hard code to do this and might be conflict.

Login

Who's Online

190 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 190

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits