uros678
Release of Xoops for PHP5
  • 2004/9/9 5:34

• uros678

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/9 5

Hello..

first I just wannted to thank everyone that has anything to do with XOOPS for making such a fine product..

I was searching the site and couldn't find anything that would say (roughly) when can can one expect the release of XOOPS for PHP5...okej, maybe I was just incompetent.. ...and why am I asking this, you might wonder... since my hosting provider switched to PHP5 I'm having shitload of problems with XOOPS and was starting to think about switching to another CMS...but really I like XOOPS the most... so I just need a rough estimate when it will be out, so that we can decide if we'll hang on a little longer and wait for the release or if we must make the switch asap...

Thanks again...

best regards,

Uros

Mithrandir
Re: Release of Xoops for PHP5

We are working on some ideas for PHP5 compatibility, but we still have some research to do before knowing for sure, what we will need to change.

An attempt at relieving the major problems in the core should be out in a matter of weeks - can't say how many, though - but in a very experimental, beta version. This experimental beta version will be used to find the areas of XOOPS that needs to be changed to be PHP5 compatible, so we can incorporate the approaches needed directly in XOOPS 2.1/2.2

uros678
  • 2004/9/9 9:20

• uros678

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/9 5

Thank you very much for you quick answer...looks like we are gonna have to switch...damn hosting providers and damn pesky client...I reall liked Xoops... for sure I'll be back..

best regards,

uros

sikey
  • 2004/9/9 10:29

• sikey

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/4/29

I know some chinese people have modded XOOPS to be compatible with PHP5... naming it XOOPS 2.0.8 ... might be worth having a search on google :)

dheltzel
  • 2004/9/9 13:35

• dheltzel

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/1/8 1

Quote:

sikey wrote:
I know some chinese people have modded XOOPS to be compatible with PHP5... naming it XOOPS 2.0.8 ... might be worth having a search on google :)

2.0.8 was sort of released, but not really
I don't have a copy, but it is behind 2.0.7.1 in some respects, so I'm not sure you want it in any case.

I believe the issue is with the "clone" functions, if you are somewhat familiar with PHP and an editor, you should be able to rename all the occurrance of the string "clone" to something else (xoops_clone ?) and that should fix the PHP5 issues, as I understand it.

I'm surprised your ISP has switched so quickly and completely to PHP5, normally, a serious data center will provide a dual path for a time to ease the migration, particularly since there is no security-related reason to move to 5.

Mithrandir

Quote:

sikey wrote:
No, what they did was take my work from a sneak release on dev.xoops.org, which I messed up substantially (it was supposed to be clearly labelled BETA! - but I forgot), and make it available for download (As far as I know) - feedback is welcomed on dev.xoops.org, but support is not given for production sites... at least by me.

phppp
  • 2004/9/9 14:47

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:
No, what they did was take my work from a sneak release on dev.xoops.org, which I messed up substantially (it was supposed to be clearly labelled BETA! - but I forgot), and make it available for download (As far as I know) - feedback is welcomed on dev.xoops.org, but support is not given for production sites... at least by me.

Mith, sorry for that.
I am that guy

And I mentioned in the Chinese release: It is a beta test version from dev.xoops.org. Only for test purposes
So, after two days, more than 100 clicks but only 10 downloads.
ppl are lazy for helping test

Mithrandir

Don't be sorry - I don't read Chinese (just a lot of ???'s on my screen and even if it wasn't, I'd still not be able to read it) so if noone thinks it is a stable, recommended, hacked release, I'm cool with it. As long as they don't come running to me because their production sites are not working anymore.

(I would very much like for people to test this with PHP5, so we can know whether the initiatives, we have taken, are actually working or not - but we will have a new release, which will probably be 2.0.7.1 WITH these PHP5-compatibility-things in it)

Login

Who's Online

384 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 384

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits