simkin67
The ol' PHP5 blank page thingy
  • 2004/9/1 3:29

• simkin67

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/1 3

To test portals and BB scripts/software for use on a future site, I've install apache2triad. Being fairly new to the world of PHP, I just downloaded and installed the latest version, which had PHP5. I did this about 2 weeks ago.

Anyway, I've been playing around with Mambo, e107, Invision PB, punbb, Simple Machines (I like that BB), php-fusion, and now (trying) to get XOOPS to work. What's the easiest way to downgrade PHP5 to PHP4? I've read some posts on the Net about running both (one as a CGI) but I'm not quite up to that task. I'd really like to try Xoops, because I've narrowed my choices of a future portal down to Mambo, e107, or XOOPS based on reviews and feature lists.

Would it be easier to just d/l an earlier version of apache2triad that has PHP4, uninstall the one with PHP5, and install the version with PHP4?

Thanks for the help!

Remember, I'm a newbie so be patient with me

simkin67
Re: The ol' PHP5 blank page thingy
  • 2004/9/1 17:08

• simkin67

• Just popping in

I've been scouring the net for a "simple" solution to removing php5 and putting in 4, but really no luck for windows installations. Since this is only on my laptop for testing portals (or cms packages) and BBs, I think I'm either going to uninstall and put in the apache2triad that has php4, or I'm going to try WAMP5 (www.en.wampserver.com) that supposedly gives you the ability to switch back and forth between the two (4 and 5) in just a few steps. WAMP5 doesn't have as much as apache2triad, but many things can be added on to it as needed. It does have the basics I need though: apache, mysql, and PHP5 (with an add-on for the switch to/from php4).

When I need perl or python, I'll add them :).

BTW, does XOOPS have an calendar module? I don't see anything for it on the demo installation at opencms.com...

Herko
  • 2004/9/1 17:20

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Have you tried XSAS? ANd there are a couple of calendar modules around. Check the news and forums and downloads using the fabulous search feature

Herko

simkin67
  • 2004/9/2 2:58

• simkin67

• Just popping in

Quote:

Herko Coomans wrote:
Have you tried XSAS? ANd there are a couple of calendar modules around. Check the news and forums and downloads using the fabulous search feature

Herko

No...but that almost looks like its cheating ! I did note that it only had 2.06 and not 2.0.7.1 so I'd prolly want to upgrade XOOPS to the latest version. I must say that after playing around with the demo on opensourcecms that I'm thinking of narrowing my choice down to XOOPS and e107 (Mambo seems to need too many add-ons to get the same features).

Anyone have any experience with XSAS? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

Thanks Herko.

chapi
  • 2004/9/2 9:02

• chapi

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2002/1/22

I want to throw in another one.

XAMPP fromhttp://www.apachefriends.org/

This WAMP system comes with 2 PHP versions, currently 4.3.8 and 5.0.1

You can switch between this 2 versions with a simple batch file. So for me this is the perfect system. Also they provide regular updates to keep the php versions up to date.

simkin67
  • 2004/9/2 13:22

• simkin67

• Just popping in

Quote:

chapi wrote:
I want to throw in another one.

XAMPP fromhttp://www.apachefriends.org/

One step ahead of you chapi! I d/led that one yesterday. My laptop is on its way back to emachines (hey, don't laugh...its an awesome notebook for the price...M6805, AMD 64 3000+, 64MB dedicated ATI 9600 video, 512MB ram, 60 gig HD, 15.4" screen, cost me a little over $1100 USD! back in Jan '04) because of some weird display problem.

I'm going to install the XAMPP on my desktop tonite and then load Xoops. I was going to try the WAMP5 (same ability to swap PHP 5 and 4) but XAMPP already has the other stuff I may want soon.

Thanks guys!

Login

Who's Online

104 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 104

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits