simkin67
The ol' PHP5 blank page thingy
  • 2004/9/1 3:29

• simkin67

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/1 3

To test portals and BB scripts/software for use on a future site, I've install apache2triad. Being fairly new to the world of PHP, I just downloaded and installed the latest version, which had PHP5. I did this about 2 weeks ago.

Anyway, I've been playing around with Mambo, e107, Invision PB, punbb, Simple Machines (I like that BB), php-fusion, and now (trying) to get XOOPS to work. What's the easiest way to downgrade PHP5 to PHP4? I've read some posts on the Net about running both (one as a CGI) but I'm not quite up to that task. I'd really like to try Xoops, because I've narrowed my choices of a future portal down to Mambo, e107, or XOOPS based on reviews and feature lists.

Would it be easier to just d/l an earlier version of apache2triad that has PHP4, uninstall the one with PHP5, and install the version with PHP4?

Thanks for the help!

Remember, I'm a newbie so be patient with me

simkin67
Re: The ol' PHP5 blank page thingy
  • 2004/9/1 17:08

• simkin67

• Just popping in

I've been scouring the net for a "simple" solution to removing php5 and putting in 4, but really no luck for windows installations. Since this is only on my laptop for testing portals (or cms packages) and BBs, I think I'm either going to uninstall and put in the apache2triad that has php4, or I'm going to try WAMP5 (http://www.en.wampserver.com) that supposedly gives you the ability to switch back and forth between the two (4 and 5) in just a few steps. WAMP5 doesn't have as much as apache2triad, but many things can be added on to it as needed. It does have the basics I need though: apache, mysql, and PHP5 (with an add-on for the switch to/from php4).

When I need perl or python, I'll add them :).

BTW, does XOOPS have an calendar module? I don't see anything for it on the demo installation at opencms.com...

Herko
  • 2004/9/1 17:20

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Have you tried XSAS? ANd there are a couple of calendar modules around. Check the news and forums and downloads using the fabulous search feature

Herko

simkin67
  • 2004/9/2 2:58

• simkin67

• Just popping in

Quote:

Herko Coomans wrote:
Have you tried XSAS? ANd there are a couple of calendar modules around. Check the news and forums and downloads using the fabulous search feature

Herko

No...but that almost looks like its cheating ! I did note that it only had 2.06 and not 2.0.7.1 so I'd prolly want to upgrade XOOPS to the latest version. I must say that after playing around with the demo on opensourcecms that I'm thinking of narrowing my choice down to XOOPS and e107 (Mambo seems to need too many add-ons to get the same features).

Anyone have any experience with XSAS? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

Thanks Herko.

chapi
  • 2004/9/2 9:02

• chapi

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2002/1/22

I want to throw in another one.

XAMPP from http://www.apachefriends.org/

This WAMP system comes with 2 PHP versions, currently 4.3.8 and 5.0.1

You can switch between this 2 versions with a simple batch file. So for me this is the perfect system. Also they provide regular updates to keep the php versions up to date.

simkin67
  • 2004/9/2 13:22

• simkin67

• Just popping in

Quote:

chapi wrote:
I want to throw in another one.

XAMPP from http://www.apachefriends.org/

One step ahead of you chapi! I d/led that one yesterday. My laptop is on its way back to emachines (hey, don't laugh...its an awesome notebook for the price...M6805, AMD 64 3000+, 64MB dedicated ATI 9600 video, 512MB ram, 60 gig HD, 15.4" screen, cost me a little over $1100 USD! back in Jan '04) because of some weird display problem.

I'm going to install the XAMPP on my desktop tonite and then load Xoops. I was going to try the WAMP5 (same ability to swap PHP 5 and 4) but XAMPP already has the other stuff I may want soon.

Thanks guys!

Login

Who's Online

437 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 437

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits