Philip
Who's Online Mod. Guest / Member Online User Count Problem
  • 2002/7/10 12:25

• Philip

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/6/29

I'd like to know if anyone else has noticed this problem on their setup, or is it just me. And if it is a problem, if there is a fix in the making?

I am using XOOPS 3.0.3 at www.calogic.de . It is not a very heavily used site.

Upon entering the site, the who's online block shows 1 guest.

After logon, the who's online block shows 1 guest and 1 Member online, and my User Name is displayed.

After logoff, the block still shows 1 Guest and 1 Member that is online, and my User Name is still displayed. Even in the forum my posts show I am online.

My Admin rights however, are not available after logoff, which I didn't expect would be.

It really just seems to be the Who's Online module itself.

If I wait 5 minutes or so, then refresh, or navigate in the site after logoff, my online status then shows 1 guest and 0 members.

This leads me to think it probably has something to do with a cache, either proxy or local, and XOOPS cookie(s).

And because I am no fan of cookies in anyway, either as a user or the programmer that I am, I would suggest using a differnt method of determinig if an online visitor is a Guest, or a logged on Member. Is it correct to assume that, at the second of logoff, a Member becomes a Guest?

I mean, there is surely a field in the user table, or elshwhere in some other table, that records if a visitor is logged on or not. And it is this field that should be used to count the number of Guests / logged on Members, not a cookie (if this is the case).

Yes, I know there is the remote possibility that some other person is online at the same time, but highly unlikely. I have been using XOOPS for a week or so now, and I noticed this descrepancy from the get go, and have been observing it closely.

Thanks for any comments.

Just checked, the XOOPS site seems to have this (bug?) too. Plus I just upgraded to 3.0.4, and same thing.

Baccillus
Re: Who's Online Mod. Guest / Member Online User Count Problem
  • 2002/7/10 13:07

• Baccillus

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/7/10

well, i am also facing a problem..it is showingin the "who's online" "0 guests and 1 members online" all the time i got my few friends on the net to visit my site and still after frequent refreshing the count remains the same :(

pls let me know what is the problem

kitsou
  • 2002/7/31 8:30

• kitsou

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/3/19

I have the same problem: Guest's count are always 0 but members counts are ok. In fact: not registered users are not counted although connected to my site. I tried everything. even reinstall the whoisonline module but it does not help

I use 3.04

www.backnang-online.info
my site

kitsou
  • 2002/7/31 8:58

• kitsou

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/3/19

Ok I did find what's wrong.

Unless you don't give away the block rights to not registered users to the whoisonline block, XOOPS thinks there is no guest online. It's not very logical about xoops....why should I have to give away the rights for a block which I don't like to show guests anyway?

Well, for all of you who like to see the correct counts of guests, you have to give group rights to the whoisonline block even to not registered users.
Then it works for me at least but I'm not happy about showing this block to guests.

onokazu
  • 2002/7/31 10:24

• onokazu

• XOOPS Founder

• Since: 2001/12/13

Yes, you're right. It's a known bug and we will be working on this soon..

dietcoke
  • 2002/8/11 18:07

• dietcoke

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/6/7 6

Quote:

Unless you don't give away the block rights to not registered users to the whoisonline block, XOOPS thinks there is no guest online.

Thanks for your information. I got an answer, but a solution at last...

tedsmith
  • 2004/7/6 12:09

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

Not sure if I've got the wrong end of the stick, but I just updated the cache lifetime in the Administrators Panel\modules\whoisonline module to 30 seconds and that seems to be working for us without changing group permissions, but we are on an internal Intranet which may affect it.

Login

Who's Online

186 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 186

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits