Ana_T
IE5: problems with block width and overall distances
  • 2004/8/16 12:15

• Ana_T

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/30

Hi everyone,

I suppose this is not a new subject to the XOOPS-Community, but I just found out XOOPS has got some problems with IE 5.0 and 5.5. As I'm now using 5.5 for testing reasons, I've noticed that some of the problems I found in my site also occur here on xoops.org...
Well, I solved some of the major ones (like contents from one table cell reaching into another) by using fixed widths and that's ok so far.
But there still are some problems I just can't seem to solve:

- all blocks which contain a table (like xoopspoll_block_poll.html) are shown with a wider width than the other blocks and the right border of the table is being cut. I already tried putting the table width to 98% (a solution suggested in the german xoops-forum), but it doesn't change anything).

- The width of the blocks doesn't seem to be right anyway. I set the width to 170px, but all blocks (with the exception of those mentioned above) are smaller. In relation to the total width, the width should be ok (total width 986px, blocks 170px each, content-part 646px). I also tried making the content-part smaller, but this doens't change anything either.

- The problem with the right table border being cut also occurs on some pages of the content-part - everytime I've got (inside the content table) several cells in one table row, each containing another table.

- All in all, the distances (horizontal and vertical) are much wider in IE 5 than in IE 6 or in Netscape. So the page doesn't really look very nice in IE 5... ;-(

This is slowly starting to drive me nuts - I'm already dreaming of table structures and widths in the night because I really tried everything I could think of and it just doesn't change anything.
In IE 6 and in Netscape everything is working just fine... But unfortunately I think many of the potential visitors of our site will still use IE 5, so I really got to get this fixed...

Anybody's got an idea or had the same problem? I really would appreciate any hint....

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

Ana_T

jlm69
Re: IE5: problems with block width and overall distances
  • 2004/8/16 12:56

• jlm69

• Module Developer

• Since: 2002/7/19

Do a search for

Internet Explorer 5.X CSS Hack For XOOPS 2.0.6

I think you need to remove all "margin" from the ie5 css file.

My main problem with themes is that they are mostly written for a single resolution.

Ex. (total width 986px, blocks 170px each, content-part 646px)

I not only think all browsers should look the same, but also all resolutions. I use total width 99%, block width 18%. I really wish people would write stuff for all browsers and resolutions.

Hope this helps.

MadFish
  • 2004/8/16 13:25

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Hi

There are a few IE5-friendly themes, mabye start with one of those as your base.

Also the % table size needed to fix the appearance of a theme varies between themes. If 98% doesn't work try lowering it more.

hsalazar
  • 2004/8/16 13:41

• hsalazar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/6 1

Also, put the blame where it belongs. This is not a XOOPS issue. It's a MSIE issue. If you browse the CSS forums all over the Web, you'll see that this is a common trouble having to do with the box model used by older versions of MSIE.

My suggestion would be to try the Tantek Celik hack in your CSS stylesheet. It'll take you less than an hour to learn how to use it, and you'll end up with a stylesheet good for most browsers.

The basic assumption you might use is this: for the structural elements (either tables or DIVs), set margins and paddings to zero. Inside them place content elements, and you can use margins and paddings there.

Cheers.

Ana_T
  • 2004/8/16 19:24

• Ana_T

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/30

Thanks to everyone for your answers! Strange enough, this is exactly what I tried half an hour ago, before looking up your answers: I removed the margin- and padding-values from just one format (the general table-format) in the theme-css, and suddenly, it's looking fine!!!!

Yes, you're absolutely right, this is not a xoops-problem, but it is a little bit disappointing that the XOOPS default-theme does not support IE 5, as buggy as it might be... Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy with xoops, I'm just a little bit tired of all the code-searching I did the past two days ... )).

Thanks a lot to everyone, this community is just great!!!!

Ana_T

Login

Who's Online

211 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 211

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits