tedsmith
Alterantive Search Module ever made?
  • 2004/8/11 9:57

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

Has anyone ever made an alternative to the default XOOPS Search Module? Not that there is anything wrong with it - but I was wondering whether anyone had ever boosted its features so that users could specify where searches took place within the site amongst other things? When I did a search the WordPress module came up but I'm not sure that its related.

carnuke
Re: Alterantive Search Module ever made?
  • 2004/8/11 15:39

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Ted,

There is a module called XoOgle that uses the standard XOOPS search AND also uses Google's API to search Google from the same form input. There are some 3 alternatives in a selector box >>Search useing xoops, >>search WWW >>search this site in googles cache. (assuming google has crawled your site) All results are returned IN your XOOPS site page!

There was also another news item that you will have to look for regarding a development that displayed results including search strings entered in context. (regex) I'm not certain. I use XoOgle myself and I think its a good module.

Richard

tedsmith
Re: Alterantive Search Module ever made?
  • 2004/8/11 21:09

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

Thanks Richard.

Our site is internal on an Intranet and not connected to the Internet itself, so a google based search module is not necessary. I was just wondering really whether a module had been built to be REALLY clever so that it brings back really accurate search hits. For example, I find the XOOPS search module to be fine most of the time, but sometimes it doesn't give me the results I need, so I go external to google or alltheweb.com, and then find the result I wanted right back in the XOOPS site! You see my point? In other words, Google is often better at searching a site, then the sites own search facility.

Not that I'm complaining though - I don't want to cause offence, and for my needs the search tool is fine - its just that if there was an even better one I would use that too.

Thanks anyway

Login

Who's Online

104 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 1

Guests: 103

Runeher2,

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!