djsckizo
Magainze Articles...what module would be best?
  • 2004/7/28 9:36

• djsckizo

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/9 8

So here is the plan....

I'm thinking of launching an online entertainment and music magazine, but the one concern I have is the articles. I'd like to use Soapbox because it looks fantastic. The only problem is that I want my writers to be able to do their articles in more than one column. If I use soapbox, it seems like only one person will be able to write the articles for one column. Doing that means that no other writers would be able to do articles for other columns and have it show up as theirs...it would show as the person who heads the column.

Any suggestions? Maybe a way to work this out to use soapbox? Or is it something I am missing in soapbox? I'm just curious as to what everyone else uses for article management, in particular for something like this.

MadFish
Re: Magainze Articles...what module would be best?
  • 2004/7/28 10:33

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

We use the weblog module for our magazine. It works ok...pretty basic, but we'll probably move to Soapbox as soon as Mr Salazar releases V1.5.

With the weblog module we have a problem where nobody understands how to submit articles through our website (our visitors are not that computer literate) - they tend to email them in and not register either, so we have to enter them on their behalf - which meant every article ended up getting 'posted by administrator'.

To get around this we removed the 'posted by' section from the template and just started typing the author name in as part of the story/body text. Maybe this would work with soapbox ? Could change the column 'author' to column 'editor'...

Ugly solution I know, but it might work :)

lykoszine
  • 2004/7/28 11:33

• lykoszine

• Module Developer

• Since: 2002/1/2 2

A nasty little hack I used for this on my review module is adding a simple drop down for admin, which lets you specify the author.

Catzwolf
  • 2004/7/28 13:21

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Quote:

djsckizo wrote:
So here is the plan....

I'm thinking of launching an online entertainment and music magazine, but the one concern I have is the articles. I'd like to use Soapbox because it looks fantastic. The only problem is that I want my writers to be able to do their articles in more than one column. If I use soapbox, it seems like only one person will be able to write the articles for one column. Doing that means that no other writers would be able to do articles for other columns and have it show up as theirs...it would show as the person who heads the column.

Any suggestions? Maybe a way to work this out to use soapbox? Or is it something I am missing in soapbox? I'm just curious as to what everyone else uses for article management, in particular for something like this.

Maybe you would like to wait until we have released WF-Sections version 2.0.2 (which is a massive bug fix version) and you will and should be able to do exactly what you wish and more.

djsckizo
  • 2004/7/30 8:17

• djsckizo

• Just can't stay away

I could probably wait. How long do you think it will take to be available?

tom
  • 2004/7/30 10:31

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

Without saying too much, I would recomend waiting, at least to see the new WF-Sections in action, before making your decision, When I saw and tested it, it was love at first site. lol

I shouldn't imagine it being much longer.

if you've not seen the new WF-Projects site then please feel free to pop over:http://www.wf-projects.com

Digiegirl
  • 2004/7/30 11:38

• Digiegirl

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/8/23

WF-Sections is a really good module, especially for articles. I am soooo waiting for the next version as I'm still using the 1.X version.....

Catzwolf
  • 2004/7/30 12:12

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Quote:

Digiegirl wrote:
WF-Sections is a really good module, especially for articles. I am soooo waiting for the next version as I'm still using the 1.X version.....

Then you are in for a nice surprise when you update (if you have not seen the new version that is).

We are currently testing 2.0.2 alpha in house at the moment and so far no real problems.

And yes we have a update script as well =)

Liquid

Digiegirl
  • 2004/7/30 12:30

• Digiegirl

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/8/23

Update script sounds good :) Can't wait now!!

djsckizo
  • 2004/8/1 3:06

• djsckizo

• Just can't stay away

I think I'll wait on the module. If it's as good as you guys are saying it is, than waiting should be no problem.

Login

Who's Online

209 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 209

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits