mj62mj62
One last chance before moving to PHPNuke
  • 2004/7/19 16:41

• mj62mj62

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/7/14

Well... The community here seems really great and I'm sad to say I've given up.

Tomorrow morning I will move to some other software...

I've now installed 3 different web servers, php4 and php5. I've done it on XP and W2K.

No matter what, I get the same problem that so many others have complained about:

When I click 'Administration Menu' I end up in an infinite loop where I see the "This is your first time to enter the administration section. Press the button below to proceed" over and over.

Now everyone has asked about this question and the common answer is:

"Chmod 777 all the directories, or at least cache, templates_c, etc."

However I'm in windows. I've given 'Everyone' 'Full Control' and nothing seems to work.

This user had an alternate suggestion:

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=22159&forum=27#forumpost96811

But I don't have any IUSR accounts on my windows box.

I've allowed all cookies. I am on a corporate network but have no personal firewall. I turned off the connection proxy, so that the browser would only work with the local machine, and that did not fix it either.

So... Apache, Xitami and Roxen are all installed... all the same problem.

<? phpinfo()?> always works, and the install goes flawlessly. No red squares except for 'this db does not exist, create?' and it creates it.

So I'm left at my wit's end. Why does the XOOPS installer not check for this sort of thing during install? If it does check, why can it write to the dir during install but not during the admin menu?

There must be some common problem to all of this.

If you have suggestions, I will certainly try them. If not, I'm sorry, but I've spent way too much time on this and read too many posts where users say:

"What are the NTFS permissions required?" and no one has responded.

Sorry to be so grumpy - we've all been here at one time or another...

Thank you in advance,
Matt

Mustang
Re: One last chance before moving to PHPNuke
  • 2004/7/19 17:31

• Mustang

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/15

Hi, Matt.

I don't know if I can help you much, but I've done a handfull of installations on w2k and they worked. I used Apache (both 1.x and 2.x), PHP 4.x and MySQL (both 3.xx and 4.xx).

As far as I know, the install shouldn't have any problems with permissions. I'd discard that one.

But... I can't get much more info about the problem from what you explained. Maybe you could post some relevant parts of the phpinfo? Also, is the database created on the MySQL server? Do the tables get created and loaded? Can you see if the sessions are created (you should see some session*.txt in some temp folder)? Can you see if the browser actually recieves a cookie (easy to see if using Mozilla or Mozilla/Firefox, and you could also watch the HTTP headers received/sent)?

Sorry, I can't be of more help. I (personal opinion) wouldn't recommend PHPNuke, but I also say, if that works for you, then great.

Catzwolf
  • 2004/7/19 17:31

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Matt,

I suggest you try XOOPS v2.0.5. You might find that this one will work as should.

FtroopSon
  • 2004/7/19 17:45

• FtroopSon

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/19

Matt I would honestly recommend if you leave the XOOPS Community that you do not choose PHP NUKE. PHP NUKE is so proprietary and is so easily hackable. Also just about anyone and everyone has a PHP NUKE website. Seriously if I had a dog, it would have one, lol j/k.

ChadK
  • 2004/7/19 18:11

• ChadK

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/9 1

Yep, I dropped nuke for Xoops. SO much better. Nuke was buggy, hacked, convoluted...

talunceford

How is PHP setup? What items do you have enabled/disabled? It seems to me like its something PHP releated or MySQL related....

m0nty
  • 2004/7/19 18:27

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

on my pc at home i run windows XP Pro, setup with NTFS filesystem.

installed e-novative WAMP which is an apache server, php and MySQL package all in one..

then i copied the XOOPS 2.0.7 to the htdocs folder, installed and had no problems whatsoever..

and that was doing everything from default..

so there's nothing wrong with XOOPS itself.. rather more something your doing wrong when installing.. and it certainly seems to be a permission problem..

check the MySQL database.. the only thing i did 1st to what u have done different is i created the database manually from mysql.. that way XOOPS didn't make the database all it did was populate it..

Mithrandir

Or something else is blocking

Try editing include/functions.php around line 137

function xoops_refcheck($docheck=1) {
     return 
true;

//previous code
}

If that solves it, it is a matter of your HTTP referrer being blocked by *something*. You say you don't have a personal firewall, but perhaps something else is blocking the sending of HTTP referrers.

If this does not solve your problem, it most likely lies in some weird permission thing with the cache folder, where the adminmenu is written.

chromehand
  • 2004/7/19 19:23

• chromehand

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/25

One thing that seems to work for me when I have directory permission issues on WinXP Pro:

I use my FTP client to log into my site and change the permissions. It usually works for me.

sumairi
  • 2004/7/19 19:38

• sumairi

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/7/1 4

I faced some problems with XOOPS i had to edit the code itself. I understand the difficulty you're having, because one bad thing about xoops, is that it's messy in many ways, and does lots of things that should have been done in different ways. sometimes they cache in mysql, sometimes they need 'chmod 777' to cache!! lots of redirections. Layout in many ways is themeable, and in many other ways is hardcoded, sometimes layout is not themeable, while style is themeable.

For developers, it's a bit messy too, you don't know why you have includes, kernel and classes!? you have to go to too many places to figure out how user information is saved after you hit the save button.

Same thing for you, the page you're accessing goes through somewhat unneccessary "in my opinion" procedure. The "/admin.php" page first checks if the "/cache/adminmenu.php" had already been generated in the "/cache" folder. If the file doesn't exist AND you've not asked it already to generate it, it creates a form with a dialog:
if (!file_exists(XOOPS_CACHE_PATH.'/adminmenu.php') && $op != 'generate') {

xoops_header();

xoops_confirm(array('op' => 'generate'), 'admin.php'_AD_PRESSGEN);

xoops_footer();
    exit();
}

You hit Ok, and then it goes back to the same page again:
switch ($op) {
case 
"list":
    break;
case 
'generate':

xoops_module_write_admin_menu(xoops_module_get_admin_menu());

redirect_header('admin.php'1_AD_LOGINADMIN);
    break;
default:
    break;
}

It will envoke the "xoops_module_write_admin_menu", which is in the "/includes/cp_functions.php":
function xoops_module_write_admin_menu($content)
{
    if (!
xoopsfwrite()) {
        return 
false;
    }

$filename XOOPS_CACHE_PATH.'/adminmenu.php';
    if ( !
$file fopen($filename"w") ) {
        echo 
'failed open file';
        return 
false;
    }
    if ( 
fwrite($file$content) == -) {
        echo 
'failed write file';
        return 
false;
    }

fclose($file);
    return 
true;
}

You can see that this function tries to save the "$content", created by "xoops_module_get_admin_menu" function, inside this file. if it fails, it prints an error and the quickly redirects you to the "admin.php", the same file again, which discovers that you don't have the "adminmenu.php" and starts from zero ...etc.

If you want, you can print the $content to your web browser using the print function, and then copy it and paste it to the /cache/mainmenu.php", manually creating the file, so the dialog wont bother you again.

To do this, modify the cp_functions.php file by editing the last few lines:
function xoops_module_write_admin_menu($content)
{

// begin-- 'chmod 777 /cache' not working
    // next 2 lines will print the mainmenu.php file to
    // the web browser instead of trying to create it.

print $content;
    return 
false;

///end-- 'chmod 777 /cache' not working

if (!xoopsfwrite()) {
        return 
false;
    }

$filename XOOPS_CACHE_PATH.'/adminmenu.php';
    if ( !
$file fopen($filename"w") ) {
        echo 
'failed open file';
        return 
false;
    }
    if ( 
fwrite($file$content) == -) {
        echo 
'failed write file';
        return 
false;
    }

fclose($file);
    return 
true;
}

Well, i know ou went to too many places in your permissions to solve your problem, but one thing you might want to check is "permission inheritance" in windows 2k. check that the parent directory security is the default, or full control everyone, probably your cache folder is inheriting more strict rules.

Thanks

Login

Who's Online

245 user(s) are online (174 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 245

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits